• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What else should I do?

8 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

You need to redo that lower clamp. Either the steel tube is shoved too deep or you got the clamp too high. 

I normally don't use any lubes on the boots this way they stick to the ends and don't blow off. I typically use a orange degreaser from Home Depot that makes the boot very slick for short time once it dres it sticks in place and a PITA to remove. 

The new boots are all a bit longer than the old... the upper went over both ribs and I have the clamp between the ribs. Is this a problem?

10 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Just for learning value. Most times people with excessive blow by are informed to check vacuum lines first thing. Because a disconnected vacuum line can imitate bad rings... Being the vacuum pump exhausts into the crankcase and then vents out the crankcase vent. 

This is why am checking my vacuum lines... but... what are other signs of a vacuum leak? Cruise control not working? Any others?

Well.. I got em on there. It was quite a fight.. didn't help that I didn't pay attention to which direction the pipe went before I removed it.. :-(   Did a boost leak test.. tightened up a couple of clamps and intake horn bolts and good to go.

Anyway... I inspected some of the vacuum lines and connections. Didn't find any cracked lines but some of the rubber boots/connectors are pretty dry and brittle. My power steering/vacuum pump seems to be leaking between the two.. pretty wet down there and when turning hard one way or the other it groans a little. I guess that'll be next on the to do list. Not looking forward to that. 

I was hoping to find a vacuum leak somewhere.. my breather hose is blowing smoke like a freight train. I get some smoke out of the oil filler too but the cap doesn't dance around... 

36 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Most likely the fluid in the power steering needs to be flushed out. That's why its groans. As for the vacuum pump you can rebuild it for about $13 bucks cheap and easy.

I had the Redhead put in a month ago.... Would the power steering have been flushed when the new steering box was put in?  

• Owner
9 minutes ago, dodgedieselnewbie said:

Would the power steering have been flushed when the new steering box was put in?  

Should of... Most shops don't. I would check the fluid level allow a drop to hang and look at the color a very light amber color is good. Dark brown is bad. Any red color is bad. ATF should not be used.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Couple of hours tops on a Saginaw box.

As for Redhead there is no rebuild kits that I know of. So I don't know what to say there... :shrug:

Opps... Vacuum pump my bad. That is about 2 hours tops as well.

LOL... so 4 hours for a novice such as myself! :-) Thank you..