• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Truck loses power and wires are cut

We have never got any of those codes and what it did have cleared after the boost sensor replacement. We have a shop down the street that rebuilds alt. and we can take it there for rebuild and hopefully the test. I will have to look around for someone that rebuilds computers here in arkansas, maybe little rock or fort smith.

So what did you do. It looks like we will need one in the future if we keep the truck. 

Ok so I was reading some other post that you wrote, is there another pump in the tank. Our truck is a 98.5 laramie slt 5.9 cummins,  but of course  you already knew it was a cummins.

• Owner

There are module rebuilders. I highly suggest whomever you pick better have a good warranty and turn around time. That what sold me on Module Master warranty was good and a company that is very professional. The problem I heard about ECM rebuilding is there is some parts (chips) that are hard to get some rebuilders can some can't. So in the ECM realm, I would say call around and do some talking to different rebuilders. I can tell you that there is no more new ECM available any longer everything is being rebuilt now.

I got mine from Cummins thru a mechanic including programming for $1400.

The in tank was dodges answer to the crappy stock pump. If it is in there it could be causing fuel starvation. It might be worth dropping the tank to see if it is there or something else is blocking fuel flow. You might also try driving with the fuel cap loosened and see if maybe the vent is blocked. The loose cap will allow air into the tank if it is blocked. 

• Like 1

Ok so that's a lot of money, any other ideas, we don't have that to spend. I guess all we can do is try to find a used one already done or find one on a wreaked out truck. I guess that will be one of the things I need to look for. He has already decided to drop the tank to look for the sock filter we are in hopes that there is one and that there is a lot of crap floating  around I the tank. Do you know if the 98.5 (99) has a tank pump.

I understand financial limitations and we can most likely get you up and running without a new one to give you time to save up. We all go thru it ourselves at times. The tricky part is we don't exactly know what we are dealing with. The PO seems to have cobbled some stuff together. So patience is in order until we can figure it out. Let us know what you find in the tank.

• Owner
10 hours ago, 99 confused said:

Do you know if the 98.5 (99) has a tank pump.

Only if the original owner went back into the dealer under warranty to have a lift pump installed. After about 2004 it was all in tank lift pump retrofit. Thing is, you've got the AirTex in the stock location so I really doubt there is an in tank pump. If so where that AirTex pump is now would have an aluminum block to join the two lines together. Your lift pump lead would hook to another loom going towards the fuel tank.

10 hours ago, 99 confused said:

I guess all we can do is try to find a used one already done or find one on a wreaked out truck.

You'll still need to have it flashed again to ensure the right software is installed. Not all ECM are created the same. So you'll need to find one from the same year of truck at least and then take it to a Dodge Dealer. While at the dealer to flash it you'll have to install it just before the flash. Dealer techs can't flash a ECM unless its hooked up. There is like 50 or so different versions of software for every year. Like Federal EPA vs. California, Automatic Transmission vs. Manual Transmission, 215 HP, 235 HP, or 245 HP. Canadian vs. American. So just because you'll find one in the wrecking yard doesn't mean it will work correctly until its flash for the proper software.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Thank you, I guess we have to start where the problem started and that would be the lift pump and also the alt. we have the shop down the street that I'm sure can test the alt. and if it is to high in ac noise, we will see if he can rebuild it. Once that is fixed we will have the new lift pump Tues, hopefully we can install it that day since there is rain forcasted for a week and we don't have a shop the truck will fit into. We also need to drop the tank and see what it looks like, since he does have some experience on diesels he knows that they are bad on mold and crap in the tank, he has wanted to drop it since we got the truck. Today he is checking the battery connections  and wires, also he took off the jump wire to the lift pump and it didn't start hooked it back up and it worked. The frustration is starting to get to him he is used to finding the problems and fixing them this one had a lot of problems  but it still is not fixed. Also I have left out of the post on purpose codes that keep showing up I'm sure you know the codes. I have left them out cause everyone that hears that says that's the problem, but would the truck run great and then fall flat just for it to clear up and run great again.

Now to add to the last part of this post, the truck this morning has not fell flat at all, it started fine and ran fine, there has been no sign of it messing up. 

The codes would be helpful. I read your post on CF and understand what you are saying about posting them but they do help. Sometimes they point right at something and other times they lead  on a chase like tracking prey thru the woods.

So now that you have seen that post on CF what do you think. I don't think that it can be the VP , the truck doesn't  run crappie all the time, only sometimes, if it was the VP would it not run like **** all the time. That is why we are frustrated with this whole situation. It ran great this morning it didn't skip a beat at all. But the code everybody says that that's the big code, but yet I can not find it anywhere to tell us just what we are dealing with. We really just want the truck to run great all the time and not just when it feels like it.

• Owner

First thing I can suggest is make sure all connectors are clean, got a dab of dielectric grease, and might cycle each connector 3 times to clean up the connectors. VP44, ECM and your battery cables. Might double check the big connector in the PDC. When you do work with that one be careful tightening that bolt it will strip out really easy!

1 hour ago, 99 confused said:

So now that you have seen that post on CF what do you think. I don't think that it can be the VP , the truck doesn't  run crappie all the time, only sometimes, if it was the VP would it not run like **** all the time. That is why we are frustrated with this whole situation. It ran great this morning it didn't skip a beat at all. But the code everybody says that that's the big code, but yet I can not find it anywhere to tell us just what we are dealing with. We really just want the truck to run great all the time and not just when it feels like it.

I had actually read your post here first and then saw on CF, so I did not read it all including any codes you posted. I figured reading here was enough. I am assuming that one of the codes was the 216. The "Death Code" as many say. While it is not good to have it can be survivable. How long is any bodies guess. 1 week one year, you just dont know, The new fuel pump is a first step. I would also go to Walmart and buy some TCW3 2 cycle oil and get some in the fuel. A one gallon jug is about 12 bucks.1 oz per gallon is a good ratio though 2 per gallon to start with would not hurt anything and it will get some lube to the VP. Dont drive if can help unless you have no other choice. does the pump thats on there now run all the time the key is in the on position?

Yes the pump will run with the key on, so just let it run to cycle it through, about how long? Do not start it right. So what do we do after that. And thank you for helping us through this. He is also going to check and put the electric grease on all the connections. You guys have been a great big help. Also not sure if I mentioned  the weather here, it's  supposed  to rain for about 5 days, so we will have to wait till the weekend unless there is a break in the weather.

If you mean to start the, just turn the key and start it. If you mean to reprime the system after you install the pump run it until you get fuel to the VP. Loosen the inlet line on the VP and you can tell when it gets there. The bad thing about the pump wired like it is to run at key on is if you have a wreck and rupture a fuel line the pump will keep running and pumping fuel until the key is turned off. When the ECM controls the pump it shuts the circuit down when it sees the engine stop. Where are ya'll by the way?