• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Snubber, needle valve, or both?

Lol I wasn't shaking it, it was very obvious when moving it/turning it over ect. But ok sounds good. I will take your advice and see what happens. Probably nothing wrong with it, it just seemed odd to me. While we are on the subject, I have another question. I was looking at the parts and the instructions for the install and I saw they have a sweet fuse tap that is a 10 amp fuze with a wire soldered onto one leg. Now the instructions are very specific that the it should be used in place of the #9 fuse and the tap side of the fuze should be the HOT side. My question is, wouldn't that make the comp unfused and able to draw as much power as the truck will give it, possibly frying things?

Just looked up the Edge Comp instructions and this is what it said:
Determine a good 12 volt circuit for use as a power source. Verify this circuit has power while starting and running and no power with the ignition off. NOTE: A good circuit is the number 17 fuse (10 AMP Cluster A) inside the fuse panel located on the left side of the instrument panel. Remove the fuse panel cover, and locate the number 17 fuse. Attach the supplied male fuse tap connector onto the fuse. Reinstall the stock fuse with connector back into the fuse panel (this is a very tight fit).
I too connect to the cold side otherwise the Comp will receive power all the time and be non-fused.
But if you're concerned about the rattling then definitely let Edge know.  No point in accepting something that may have been dropped or damaged.

Thanks Katoom. I just got back from the first test ride with the comp all hooked up and i think its working fine. I am very impressed. The top end is AMAZING. I hit almost 2500 without even realizing it(thats pretty high for me). Unfortunately, when I got back I realized that I have an almost new belt that won't stop squeaking, and much worse, more fuel leaks. It really hard to tell exactly where its coming from, but it seems like its the push lock fitting that comes out of the bottom of my filter housing, not any of the fittings I just put together with 545. Maybe thats where it came from before when I did the pipe dope?...but can push lock fittings leak??? Its not that old, like less than 10k miles and like 6 or 8 months. Weird thing is, its also leaking from the other end at the VP, but that seems to be coming from the fitting itself, where the swivel nut part meets the body of the fitting. So hopefully that one just needs to be loosened and tightened again. I guess Ill try that for the other on too, but it really seems like its coming from where the hose meets the fitting...anyone ever had a push lock fitting just randomly start leaking? I did spray break cleaner in there to make sure there was not dirt from old pipe dope when I took it apart....could that have degraded the fuel hose??

• Owner

No pipe dope is need on those fittings.

I highly suggest against using pipe dope and sealant tapes on fuel system fittings because all it will take is small bit of teflon tape or pipe dope to get into the VP44 and plug a passage or gum up something. If it does make it past the VP44 then you have it in the edge filter of the cross over tubes or in the injector itself. Not a good thing period.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

I don't have pipe dope on it anymore. When I did put it on I was extremely careful not to use very much and to keep it from getting on the inside. When it leaked with the pipe dope, I took it back off the truck and disassembled it all and cleaned everything with wire brush, brake cleaner, and compressed air. Then I put it back together with locktite 545, the purple stuff. I let it dry for at least 24 hrs, then reinstalled it. Now the problem is something is still leaking. But it really seems like the fuel is coming from the hose where it meets the fitting. Should I be getting a new piece of 1/2 push lock fuel hose? I thought pushlocks didn't leak? unless the brake cleaner degraded the hose? I didn't think that could happen either....

More then likely the push lock fitting isn't leaking. Unless some random phenomenon happened or it's not all the way pushed on, it's more likely to be leaking from the fitting end then the push lock end. I've had push lock fittings be bad so could just be that. 

That's kinda what I thought, but I was looking and feeling around and it really seems like it's coming out the end of the hose. It's def on all the way and it didn't leak before. However it is in a different position now and I did spray the brake cleaner through it as I said. So I'm not sure if those factors could have messed it up somehow. What do you mean about a bad push lock fitting though? Bad how?

Lol nice. I haven't done that many, but I found that heating the ends with a small propane torch works pretty good. The odd thing with this situation is that it didn't leak before. I took the whole 18" long filter to vp hose off the truck to add the needle valve and now I'm having issues. The stupid thing should not be than sensitive imo. Now I can't play with my new toy till I get the darn thing fixed again. I have to put new brakes on my wife's crv tomorrow so after that I'm going to try popping each end off and make sure there's no dirt on the mating surfaces an then tighten them back up and see what happens. Provided it's not 25° with 20mph winds. I'm 99% sure the filter end has fuel coming right out the end of the hose, but it is very hard to see down there so maybe I'm wrong. I'm also going to call Vulcan and see if they've heard of anything like this and see if they will send me a new piece of hose since it was their big line kit. 

I had an issue here before

image.jpeg

When you have a push lock fitting that doesn't have the bend, if that same area were defected or got damaged it could make it appear like it was leaking through the push lock end. I find it highly unlikely that the push lock end would leak due to it breaking or anything. 

If you used a torch on the hose it could've affected the hose playability and it might not be grasping the push lock end like it should be. 

Just my :2cents: though, could be way off.

Yes I believe that is where the vp end is leaking. Hopefully that one just needs to be loosened and re tightened or taken off cleaned and re tightened. With the filter housing end though, I checked and checked and felt all over and it really seems like that's not it. But I'm going to try it anyway. I have to wait for warmer weather again now and I may have to wait on a new piece of hose too. I'll let you guys know when I figure it out.

i was just thinking, I guess it's possible that it's not on far enough? There's more than one of my push lock fitting that didn't go on quite right enough to make that plastic washer tight. I didn't think that was an issue though....never had a leak anywhere else...

Edited by leathermaneod

I don't neccesarily think the hose needs to be tight against the plastic washer, but it should but at least flush with it. I have had a couple fittings be just shy of sitting completely flush and still functioned ok.

Edited by notlimah