• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Longer cranking...

Alright well just wanted to update you guys on where I stand now with this. The problem is no longer present. I've been parking uphill in my driveway and been having normal cranking time, although I have found that my truck doesn't like starting cold. Even after letting the WTS go out it fires up with a quick hiccup and then smooths out and idles fine.

Anyways, I did change out a few things I have to assume one of which fixed my problem. Of course I did it in the worst troubleshooting form and did them all pretty much at the same time so I can't pinpoint to what exactly it is. But I changed the following.

Changed Smarty programming from catcher 3 to Fuel saver mode

Replaced a bad ISSPRO fuel pressure gauge

Tightened down the fitting at the back of the head by like a 1/32nd of a turn. Also, for those who haven't had to do this, prepare to get your Ethan Hunt on!

what-s-your-favorite-mission-impossible-

• Like 2

Also, for those who haven't had to do this, prepare to get your Ethan Hunt on!" 

Haha That's the truth! I just replaced the banjo washers on a friends truck a week ago. Kinda have to get your Braille on too. 

Edited by BBHD
  • Like 1

I have this same issue. I don't feel any wetness at back of the head and i tried to get a wrench on it one day then i gave up. I'll try again.. What size wrech do i need do u remember?

I will try that first then i'll clean my batter posts again. I have cleaned them in the past and it seems like it started better with no stumble. 

I still think it's air leak or something because if i go out on a cold morning and start the truck then shut it off right away, come back 2 hrs later and try n start and it fires right up no hickup or stumble.

It's a 17mm. I was literally laying on top of the engine and slid the wrench through the left side while my right arm was warpped around to act as support. Mine turned maybe 1/32nd of a turn but that could be enough to leak. Also follow that same piping down to where it forms a T and check for leaks there. 

The he reaon your method is working is because unless it's a really bad air leak, 2 hours isn't enough time for the fuel system to loose it's prime. 

Hope you get it solved! 

• Like 1

When I had the same issue I replaced the sealing washers. The rubber on them gets hard and does not seal as well. Mine looked and felt more like washer than a washer with rubber on it. No more than they cost replacing them will last a lot longer, plus the bolt is hollow and can snap off if you tighten it to much. so be careful.

Yea I put the least amount of pressure on it as I could, believe me! That little bit of tightening that it did was under fairly little pressure. If I have the same issue come up I'll be looking at replacing the sealing washers for sure.

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 6:30 PM, IBMobile said:

with that terminal clamp cracked your basically running on battery.  Think of it this way, if the nut  holding the cable to the starter motor was loose how well do you think the starter motor would work.  You can buy battery cable ends at any auto supply store for an interim fix until you get that cable replaced.  Order a new one or find a battery supply house that also makes custom cables or make them your self.  

http://custombatterycables.com/application/dodge_ram.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlEUqZSyo4I

I see that the battery was manufactured in12/2012 so it's 3 years and 3 mo. old. The installation date tag was never punched out but batteries are usually installed within a couple of months of being produced.

Do you know if custombatterycables.com is still open? I tried calling them and no answer and I sent an email with no reply either.

• Staff

I just called the  785-4cables, 785-422-2537,  recording came on saying "the Jack customer you have called is unavailable to take your call.  Please a message after the tone".   So your guess is as good as mine.

Can you have them made locally?  In my area there are two battery shops that will make starter, ground or RV cable to specifications. 

Edited by IBMobile

I suppose I could make them myself but I'd rather someone else do it so it's done right. Last thing I want is to fry everything because I missed some minor step trying to get everything put together correctly.

I'll have to look for some place locally to see if they offer that kind of service. Maybe I'll call and leave a message and see if I get a call back.

I had to replace the passenger negative cable. I used one of the military style connectors. I cut the damage terminal off and skinned a 1/2" or more of the insulation to be sure the wire was not  corroded and soldered a new terminal on. It is quite easy to do.

So I talked with the guy from custom battery cables. I ended up sending him a message on their facebook page and he replied back with this number 602-329-8363.

Anyways, I'm going to go ahead and pull the trigger on new battery cables. Figure if I'm going to replace one I might as well replace them all so I can just be done with it.

Yea will do. One things for sure, they're not cheap! :spend:

He mentioned that they're a couple weeks behind schedule due to a large order they received from a local tractor company they do business with so that might have been why it was hard to get ahold of him earlier.

Either way it'll be nice to have some well made cables that I should never have to worry about again!

I had a very similar problem to the OP. Turned out that the fuel heater element o-ring had gone bad and started leaking there and caused air to leak in there. The o-ring is easy to replace, but I wanted any excuse to get rid of that filter housing so I got the fuel filter kit from Geno's Garage that accepts the screw-on filters.

• Like 1