• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Tailgate bushings/parts/etc.

My friends,

I'm trying to understand the bushings that are on these tailgates.  I'm confused on part #17 and #1 on the diagram.  I just ordered two of the #17; those are the bushings that sit on the bed and the pivots (#5/#16) slide into (hence why it says 2 for quantity).  I'm just confused as to what the #1 is for on the diagram.  It says you only need one (1) of them?  Right hand side only?  It's weird because when I look up the part number it looks like what I just ordered (2nd photo).  Again, I'm just confused on whether or not I need to replace another part (#1) or if I am missing it all together?  

I'm replacing this #17 because the tailgate has a fair amount of play when rocking it left to right but more so it squeaks like mad going down the road.  I can't say that this will fix the left-to-right looseness of the tail gate but I'm fairly certain it will fix the squeak; I narrowed it down to that spot.  It is latching just fine after I adjusted the strikers on it.  

I'll add more to this if anything comes to my mind.  I mainly drive with my rear slider open so this had to get fixed before I went postal from Jiminy Cricket squeaking away in my tailgate:ahhh:.         

Screen Shot 2016-03-31 at 2.11.16 PM.png

a_20151002_1148390583.png

Sooxies,

Try this: http://www.dormanproducts.com/itemdetail.aspx?ProductID=32310&SEName=38641

The oem number is 55274936AC .  it seems to only be the square part that covers the metal.  The dorman kit has two circular parts too.

Sorry have not had trouble with my tailgate yet, so I don't know exactly what it looks like in there.  (ok I lied, my latch release doesnt work exactly right, but I have not had hinge problems yet.) 

GL  HTH

Hag

• Like 1

On mine there are two parts, one[ that looks like the picture] fits on the stub of the truck, the other one which is round fits in the tailgate then fits over the one in the picture. This is on the driver side. 

• Like 1

On 4/3/2016 at 7:06 AM, klcammie said:

On mine there are two parts, one[ that looks like the picture] fits on the stub of the truck, the other one which is round fits in the tailgate then fits over the one in the picture. This is on the driver side. 

Yes!  Thank You!  55274936AE is what I ordered (2 of em') and it fits perfectly.  My squeak has gone away.

Screen Shot 2016-04-05 at 4.05.32 PM.png

Edited by sooxies