• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Front Crank Seal Help .... and show and tell of what the dealer did

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2016 at 9:04 PM, Mopar1973Man said:

It would help a bunch to make sure there is no debris or high spots in the crank. Like your little dings in the tip I would take a machine file and knock them down a bit. Take some emery cloth and "lightly" sand the crank where the sleeve is going. This just makes sure there is no residue or damaged metal to hang up your installation. 

Here is my question regarding the timing cover (see pics) there is significant paint and/or powder coating on the inside of the cover where the seal is installed. Any advice on this? Remove the build up without changing the shape nor scratching or putting a grove into it?  I noticed this on the timing gear cover in the video posted here as well, curious if it leaked. (Btw most pic's on this thread & the follow up thread will not open.)  I appreciate any input on this.  75K is all I have on the clock & yes it was leaking.  TY

Crankseal 1.jpg

crankseal 2.jpg

13 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Emery cloth and work the excessive paint out of the hole. Work slow and even. Then might put a thin film of silicone in the hole as well if your concerned. The re-assemble the gear case again. Place the seal in a different position in the case to relocate for the crank wear.

I was thinking along those same lines, but wanted to hear it from someone wiser than myself. On the rebuild side of all this..thank god. Work just keeps getting in the way.  Appreciate the feedback. 

• Owner
7 hours ago, OmahaGen2 said:

I was thinking along those same lines, but wanted to hear it from someone wiser than myself. On the rebuild side of all this..thank god. Work just keeps getting in the way.  Appreciate the feedback. 

Not a problem that what we are here for is to help out. Like me work and paying billing... :rolleyes: