• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What happens if you don't do an apps reset?

• Owner

The APPS is dropping out of normal operational range below its lower limit...

Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor (APPS) voltage is monitored when the engine is running. DTC may be stored if low voltage is detected on APPS signal circuit or low voltage is detected between Engine Control Module (ECM) and Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

• 2 weeks later...

What a difference a new APPS makes.. Installed a new Wells VE Apps today. Everything went smoothly including removing the torx screws which I've read can be PITA. I checked voltage and I got .527 which is within the .5 - .6 Should I try to get it higher towards .6? 

Short test drive and everything seems smooth.. no more surging and shifts are not as harsh. No more TPS code or CEL. Yay!

Edited by dodgedieselnewbie

• Owner
43 minutes ago, dodgedieselnewbie said:

I checked voltage and I got .527 which is within the .5 - .6 Should I try to get it higher towards .6? 

Lower is better. Again this where people get into trouble worrying about APPS voltage. The Wells APPS is using the same design of logical flipping IVS switch for IDLE and THROTTLING as a OEM APPS. It's alway best to be low and not high. You want to insure the voltage is getting low enough to trigger the IDLE position.

One thing nice about the Timbo's it not voltage driven and no circuit board to fail just rheostat and to mechanical switches. Yes the wells is magnetic with no rheostat to wear out but end up with the whole voltage adjust problems all over again also the possible circuit failures from AC noise issues (possibly).

Edited by Mopar1973Man

5 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Lower is better. Again this where people get into trouble worrying about APPS voltage. The Wells APPS is using the same design of logical flipping IVS switch for IDLE and THROTTLING as a OEM APPS. It's alway best to be low and not high. You want to insure the voltage is getting low enough to trigger the IDLE position.

One thing nice about the Timbo's it not voltage driven and no circuit board to fail just rheostat and to mechanical switches. Yes the wells is magnetic with no rheostat to wear out but end up with the whole voltage adjust problems all over again also the possible circuit failures from AC noise issues (possibly).

Right now it is working fine at .527 but will try to adjust lower.. Kind of ironic tho.. that I was getting a TPS low voltage code and you want it as low as possible?? :-)

• Owner

Typically the low voltage code is because it dropped below 0.3 volts. Now its out of normal range. If you had a wore spot in the previous APPS that was dropping below 0.3 volts then the code will be set. I would say you fine and the lower end of 0.5 like you are. Problem is Wells doesn't list exact voltage that IVS flips like OEM Cummins APPS sensor. That voltage on the OEM sensor is where the IVS flip flop state. So like my old one was 0.526 (or something like that.) I would set for 0.4 volts. That way it was for sure low enough to cross into IDLE position. But again Wells doesn't list a transition voltage. 

Too many people seen that goofy CF thread about APPS voltage adjustment and now constantly thinking adjusting it higher is going to solve issues. It lower voltage are better.

But once again the voltage set is based on the electronic logic switch of the Wells and OEM APPS sensors. So for OEM I would say 0.4 volts for most setups is fine. Being Wells states 0.5 to 0.6 I would aim for low end of 0.5 to be sure.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

• Owner

Timbo APPS is basically twist the idle stop screw till the voltage rises. Then back off till it bottoms out. Add 1/2 turn after the voltage bottoms out. Don't panic if the voltage shows higher. Like my Timbo's bottoms out at .633 volts then I turn extra half turn off. There is no voltage to set to. It about making sure the bellcrank angle is back far enough to toggle the mechanical IVS switches which once it toggle IDLE then voltage doesn't matter because ECM take over with its own idling software. 

Timbo's no voltage to adjust or worry about not to mention the Timbo APPS is cheaper! Wells / OE APPS both require proper voltage adjustments.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Typically the low voltage code is because it dropped below 0.3 volts. Now its out of normal range. If you had a wore spot in the previous APPS that was dropping below 0.3 volts then the code will be set. I would say you fine and the lower end of 0.5 like you are. Problem is Wells doesn't list exact voltage that IVS flips like OEM Cummins APPS sensor. That voltage on the OEM sensor is where the IVS flip flop state. So like my old one was 0.526 (or something like that.) I would set for 0.4 volts. That way it was for sure low enough to cross into IDLE position. But again Wells doesn't list a transition voltage. 

Too many

people seen that goofy CF thread about APPS voltage adjustment and now constantly thinking adjusting it higher is going to solve issues. It lower voltage are better.

But once again the voltage set is based on the electronic logic switch of the Wells and OEM APPS sensors. So for OEM I would say 0.4 volts for most setups is fine. Being Wells states 0.5 to 0.6 I would aim for low end of 0.5 to be sure.

Well then.. I'll let it be for awhile and see how it acts. Thanks Mike

• 5 months later...
  • Owner
On 4/7/2016 at 0:24 PM, dodgedieselnewbie said:

Positive lead touching metal connector around large black wire on alternator and neg lead to passenger neg battery terminal. . I get 0.108 - 0.110

Alternator is failing. Time to replace. The battery voltage is meaningless only the alternator BATT terminal is the one you want.