• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What happens if you don't do an apps reset?

I know a couple of times I've had my batteries disconnected anywhere from 15-30+ minutes. I've never done an apps reset (didn't know about it). I'm asking because I'm still having issues with my truck (at times) dropping in and out of lock up.. like yesterday was horrible. Just releasing the slightest of tension on the accelerator would cause it at 55, 65 and higher.  Today.. no issue whatsoever tho.. Ran around 80 miles.. stop and go and highway.. never dropped out once. Not sure why it has good days and bad? I'm getting a TPS low voltage code every time I check and clear. I'm going to try the reset procedure tomorrow based on cumminsdog suggestion. And.. I still need to get a meter and check alternator voltage...

Edited by dodgedieselnewbie

I couldn't tell you exactly what happens if you don't do it. I've done the same thing though and haven't run into any issues your stating. If your dropping in and out of TC lockup that usually means your alternator is putting out too much AC noise. It could also be your apps is on its way out.

Thanks for reply..

I'm leaning toward the apps due to the fact it's related to tension on the pedal and a code. Just not sure why it's sporadic.. and if it's possibly because of not resetting the apps. I'm pretty sure I had my batteries disconnected for a couple hours when I did valve adjustment and injector install.

• Owner
9 hours ago, dodgedieselnewbie said:

I'm asking because I'm still having issues with my truck (at times) dropping in and out of lock up..

That is alternator noise issues. All you have to do is alter RPM and the problem goes away. Not so much APPS but frequency of the noise created by the alternator.

Okay.. bought a meter and IF I'm doing it right.. I'm in the .8 to .9 range

I set the meter to AC V and and set the range to first decimal ... Is this correct?

Put the positive lead on the big black wire on alternator and negative to the negative battery terminal...

044LeNml.jpg

I set the range to the second decimal.. I get  0.12  It doesn't dance around like I see in Mike's video?

Then I tried on the third decimal.. and got a .006 reading. 

Help..............

50 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

You want to set the range for 2V or less scale.  0.000 should be what you want to see.

Well.. this is the meter I bought.. I don't see where 2V can be selected. I can hit the range button and move the decimal over.

I put it on V ac/dc... hit mode for ac.. then hit range to move decimal over. 

I have no experience using multimeters... so any help would be great!

BTW.. when I turn it on to V AC the meter won't read 0.000.. it fluctuates around 0.015 - 0.025 like it's picking up current in the airwaves? This is with no probes connected to it...

Q2NtKlil.jpg

Mike.. I've watched your videos and neither show where you have the probes connected. I touched the positive to the to the large black wire (the connector at the end) on the alternator.. do I need to actually touch the nut/bolt on the back? And.. the negative to the negative battery lead. I got a steady 0.006 which leads me to believe.. I did something wrong?

Note that in AC  mode it says V on right.. when I switch to DC it says mV. Should I leave it in DC to test alternator? 

It sounds like your checking in the right places, positive on the alternator and negative on the battery. As far as the multi-meter, not sure, I'm terrible with those as well. Usually ends with a call to my dad who works with this sort of stuff all the time lol.

Maybe my pic and vid aren't showing? It says its true rms.. just not sure if I'm in mv mode in the ac side of things. Thanks for the replies...

EDIT: Well.. I found mV in AC on the meter.. yay! Just kept pressing range a bunch. However.. the decimal will only stay by first digit. I can get the meter to show zero by pressing the Relative button but not sure I want to be in relative mode. Will give it a shot either way and see what I get. It's raining buckets here.. so will have to wait...