• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

crank sensor

I attempted to change out the crank sensor today. And of course, it broke off. I screwed in a long screw and pried with a pry bar, it moved a short distance, but is wedged in there pretty tight and won't move any further. I'm considering drilling it and removing it in pieces. Input? Any other ideas?

Edited by mrclean

• Staff

Try this get a 1-2" sheet metal screw, a #8 should do and the longer the better.  Now drill into the broken crank sensor with a drill bit a little smaller that the screw, about an ⅛" bit,  Put the screw into the sensor and with a pair of vice grips you can hopefully pull it out.

4 hours ago, IBMobile said:

Try this get a 1-2" sheet metal screw, a #8 should do and the longer the better.  Now drill into the broken crank sensor with a drill bit a little smaller that the screw, about an ⅛" bit,  Put the screw into the sensor and with a pair of vice grips you can hopefully pull it out.

And use carb cleaner too. spry around it so you can break the seal and rust between O ring and engine block. I did the same it helps too.

Took me a while, but I got it. The o-ring wasn't the problem, there was a ring of corrosion at the edge of the hole that was preventing removal of the sensor. Ended up drilling it into pieces and removing it that way. Thanks for all the advice!