• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Happy camper - mess with a good thing?

This past weekend was the first camping trip of the season... and first hauling since a lot work was done over the winter.

w4UJLpGl.jpg

First thing.. With new track bar and Redhead.. It was such a pleasure to not have 2 inches of play in the steering wheel while pulling the camper! Secondly, the deep trans pan and gauge is a nice addition. Although I have no idea what the temp was before.. the temp never rose above 135 towing and it's nice to be able to monitor it. 

Third.. I am finding this Smarty to be an improvement for my application over the Edge Comp Drag. Where I could easily/quickly see high boost and EGT temps with the Edge last year... not so with the Smarty (even coupled with the newly added 50hp injectors). Set to Catcher 3 with torque 1, timing 2 and duration 3... I could not get the EGTs to touch the 1200 mark through the rolling hills of MD & PA... pushing it up a hill in overdrive 1125 was the highest.

So.. I am very happy with how it's currently performing! Can you believe it Nick? Finally.. :thumbup2:  

But...  Like most, I'd like a little more... I have the opportunity to pick up an Aurora 3000. I know ATS turbos are not a fan favorite and there is newer technology.. but I have been happy with this little 2K and have grown accustomed to a non gated turbo. Will I be able to achieve similar results with the 3K... if coupled with the appropriate injectors? How do you determine which injectors would be best? Will it dramatically change how the truck handles?

Or should I not mess with a good thing? 

Edited by dodgedieselnewbie

how much is the 3k and how many miles?    I think the 3k has a 14cm exhaust housing which will allow for more top end, but also slow the spool down.

Personally I am a huge fan of staying with holset stuff.  The 3rd gen he351cw can take a heck of a beating and should be good for 450hp worth of air.    

ATS says the 3k is good to ~65 lb/min where as the he351cw is good to ~67-69lb/min

I wouldn't go with DDP's.  

DAP or DFI make great injectors DDP's can be smokey.  

I also wouldn't do a 3k for that price ( the injectors are worth ~$200) you should be able to find a he351 for half of that and have more air and better spool + cheaper parts.  

Edited by Me78569

You will need a hx40 style down pipe ( dunno what you have now)

It is gated ( you will need to supply 12v to the actuator to get 40psi gate) 

Pretty sure the cw is a t3 manifold.

Here is one of the first guys to do it

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98-5-02-performance-parts-discussion/151365-he351-retrofit-second-gen.html

I did it. It's pretty easy, especially if you buy the sillicone hose instead of building the charge pipe. I also clocked the compressor housing and built a wastegate actuator off of the drain bolts. The last thing I did was buy a plug for the electronic actuator from DAP. It's a great little turbo, but got a bit warm for me with 100's while towing in the mountains. 

For what it's worth I can't top 900*f unloaded and 1100*f loaded with the HE351VGT and the box turned down.  apples to oranges, but I am very happy towing with the he351 here in rockies.  At or near sea level I would never have an issue even with the box turned up.

Edited by Me78569