• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Battery equalization

Hopefully a quick question. Just got a mk345pc charger for my boat to charge deep cycle batteries. It's a minnkota 3 bank charger that charges and maintains. It has an option to equalize batteries and recommend every 30th charge on deep cycle battery. I called minnkota support and asked if I can use their charger on regular car/truck batteries and they said yes. This charger puts out 15 amps per bank. 

I guess my question is will it hurt to equalize my truck Batteries?  Reason I'm asking is I checked voltage to my batteries and it was at 11.8 and the other day it was hard to start after sitting for a month. But after driving that day it was fine. They are 5 years old now and beraly used in my mind a good equalization will bring them to life, I checked electrolyte level and it was fine almost to the top, and inside didn't look bad looking through the holes. Just curious if anyone done that before. They are out of the truck now and charging on regular setting. Just checked them before came in the house and charger is saying they are at 50% hopefully by morning it will be done charging.  

Edited by Dieselfuture

7 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I would just unhook the battery cables from the batteries. This way there is no chance that high voltage will cause problems to the electronics.

I did that just in case like you said, and I actually took them out and put them in garage. Figured might as well look things over Ander trays and check wires. I guess question still is has anyone equalized their battery's before. And another question I have is, can I charge both batteries at once with regular charger if they still in the truck or is it a good idea to always unhook cables and do one at the time. 

Got my batteries charged, put back in, reset the apps, and now got 2 codes

P-0237 and p-0177 all wires look fine not sure what caused this unless batteries were low voltage before and now they're fully charged maybe ecm decided to throw 2 codes out of blue. 237 is water in fuel and I don't have that plugged in at all, the other one sounds like a map sensor not sure why that one came up.

Edited by Dieselfuture

7 hours ago, Hawkez said:

Will they clear?

Yes they cleared and so far didn't come back, I did changed my oil pressure sensor as it shears the 5volt power with map sensor, it was 15 bucks at cummins so i didn't want to chance it. I ended up starting a different topic for these codes. I'm hoping that's all it was. And not so sure if it wasn't my intermittent surging problem that would almost make since, at certain speed on a hwy i have a surge that kind of comes and goes, maybe pressure was just right to shorten out oil sensor and lose 5 volts to map sensor. I thought it was injectors changed them and seemed better but then came back, then I thought ac voltage from alternator rebuilt it and seemed good but still had a slight miss few times, and now I'm hoping I was losing 5 volts to map sensor and that was causing it, my next excuse will probably be a vp :broke:.