• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

camp cooking

MoparMom

There is a jim-dandy cooking stove that is advertised at Sportsmens Guide and it is one of those that you gather around with the fire going in the evening and everything is getting heated at one time. I just wonder if you have a better suggestion than this. Ya, I know about the Colemans and the grills, but this is one for gathering about when the sun goes down. Maybe you made one that is just as good if not better. I've got a problem with the packing and toteing around. The idea is great, but the space required for this has me thinking maybe not such a good idea. You have a better one? http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/guide-gear-campfire-cooking-station.aspx?a=527450

• Like 1

Check out the products and recipes of this site. It used to be on public TV a few years ago and my wife and I really liked watching it to learn new ideas. http://www.campfirecafe.com/recipe_vault/CCTV_18cowboy_cookware.html

Thank you, thank you! What a great site and your right ...I like it too. Mike and I think that grill idea is great. Simple and sweet. I'm going to go through those recipes later today. But it is a site that has a lot to offer. I appreciate your help.

Glad to share......... What I like about the camp fire equipment from the site "Other than the pots and dishes" is that it would be super easy to make all of it at home if you have a welder. That way you can save some $$$$$$ and spend it on the food and fun instead of the equipment.

• Like 1

That's a pretty neat machine. Too bad we can not use such things at Rendezvous. (Not period correct.) I'd not mind having one for home. We have to actually dig a fire pit. A flip-over rack holds the pots up. There are period correct charcoal burning brassiers... I figure it's worth the cost of charcoal to not have to bend down.

That's a pretty neat machine. Too bad we can not use such things at Rendezvous. (Not period correct.) I'd not mind having one for home. We have to actually dig a fire pit. A flip-over rack holds the pots up. There are period correct charcoal burning brassiers... I figure it's worth the cost of charcoal to not have to bend down.

Russ do you have a picture of that (period correct) pit.?

Rendezvous cooking.

The fire pit, the sod is cut with a spade on 3 sides & folded back on the hinge leaving only brown dirt showing... brown dirt does not burn. Use smaller pieces of sod & dirt to close any gaps.

Posted Image

4 legs are put in the ground with a horrizontal piece (2 required) running the length of the pit. The flat pieces are threaded on on the back support, resting on the front forming the "grate". They are easily flipped over to tend the fire.

Another view of the grate & key-hole... sod was not turned back so well in this one. Notice some of the grate flipped out of the way to get more coals for the top of the Dutch oven.

The camp style dutch oven has legs & is placed on coals in a "key-hole" some coals under but most heat needs to be on top for baking. We use a trivet & pie plate inside. Nothing like pie in camp!

Posted Image

When the fire is done, the sod can be hinged back into place & the site quickly restored. Most sites require & always a good idea to keep a couple of filled fire buckets at each fire pit.