• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Syncromesh fluid

Did a clutch swap in my NV5600 and lost some of the fluid. I just changed the fluid last spring so would just like to add to it to get the proper amount rather than draining it out and putting new in. (Fluid still looks clear) No idea how much I lost so don't know how much to put back in. Top it off until it comes up over the gears be a stopping point or is that too much? I should add I know theres the plug on the side to check, but I cant remember how far up past the plug it went last time I put the extra bottle in..thats why I ask the question

thanks

Edited by dobienut

What's recommended is, fill till the fluid comes out of fill hole which is almost 5 qts and then add 1 qts through shift tower to prevent a bearing failure that's higher in tranny. I've been running 5 + 2 total of 7 qts for few years now. Just few weeks ago I put on Fast cooler and filter, and now running 7.5 qts. my fluid looked really clear on my finger but when i put it in a container all i seen was sparklys form synchros, that's why I added a filter to my nv5600, I don't think it's as important on a 5 speed. Bottom line is run at least 6qts total, and change fluid on your nv5600 at least every 50k. I'm going to do mine every 30k probably. 

1 hour ago, greed said:

Top middle bolt. I have Blumenthol coolers. Basically the same as Fast, maybe a little longer. IIRC, the last fluid change took 9-91/2 quarts.

How's your tranny temps being overfilled that much. Mine is filed to top of side bolt. 

I've only checked it one time with an IR thermometer. I don't remember what the temp was. I was towing a 12k fifth wheel over mountain passes.  I don't remember being alarmed. I'm about due for a lube change and I've thought about using the top side hole. I put a stand off exhaust blanket on like DRipley or Katoom, can't remember who, that should help. The exhaust is pretty close to the cooler.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2016 at 8:37 AM, greed said:

I've only checked it one time with an IR thermometer. I don't remember what the temp was. I was towing a 12k fifth wheel over mountain passes.  I don't remember being alarmed. I'm about due for a lube change and I've thought about using the top side hole. I put a stand off exhaust blanket on like DRipley or Katoom, can't remember who, that should help. The exhaust is pretty close to the cooler.

Here is part of the reason I didn't fill it past top side bolt, filter intake is right there. So I figured when going down the hwy it should work

20160517_174308.jpg