• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Best Towing RPM?

Best Towing RPM?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Best Towing RPM?

• 1500-1600
    • 1600-1700
    • 1700-1800
    • 1800-1900
    • 1900-2000
    • 2000-2100
    • 2100-2200
    • 2200-2300
    • 2300-2400
    • 2400-2500

So lets say its a 5k lb TT. What is your guys opinion as the best rpm to pull it at? Ignore speed since I know some of you guys do 70 at 1800 and others (me) do it at 2100. I just want to know what you guys think the best rpm is. I'm gonna say 1900-2000 since it is up where the turbo is spooling perfect but it's not high enough to be wasting fuel.

Yeah that's why I gave the example weight :lol: There are some loads I get thankful I have small tires since it effectively makes it seem like I have 4:10's. Well not really but close enough.

• Staff

A lot has to do with the gen of engine. Like my HPCR has a big fueling jump at 2000 rpms, so I like to tow above it thru hills... But that doesn't mean I always can or do. 2200 seems to be the "sweet" spot on the HPCR.. Thou with the mods I have done I have brought the point where the motor makes 30psi down 100 or so rpms to 1950, and haven't towed yet... So I'll see when I do some towing if that lowered the sweet spot. I am also confident that the cam going in next week will drop it another 100-200 rpms to 30psi. So again, really depends on the motor gen.Since 12v torque curves are more of a peak it would be best to tow +- 100 of the peak.. Where the HPCR is a plateau I can tow effectively over a broader range. But there are times where rpms and hp are more important than tq.

The engine does have a lot to do with it, how it is tuned, how it is modded. I am just looking for what you guys would tow at with your current truck, modded or not, on relatively flat ground with a few hills, just the average. I know everyone has a point where they feel the truck is perfect. I run it right under 2000 because I can build all the boost I need if I do happen to get to a hill, and yes HP is the determining factor there, which is also why I run it there instead of, like 1600. I am not 100% on what rpm is the absolute best so thats why I like hearing your alls opinions and looking at the consensus average. I know nobody has the same truck so what is good on mine might not work for others, but everyone has a reason for wanting to keep it over or under a certain rpm and that's what I am aiming at hearing, though just seeing the votes sways me also. You guys got some good points so far :thumbup2:

Ah, I take it that has to do with the timing being advanced? I know they all said advancing the timing shifts the power upwards but I never noticed it, just that it was snappier and seemed to have more power everywhere. :shrug:

Ah, I take it that has to do with the timing being advanced? I know they all said advancing the timing shifts the power upwards but I never noticed it, just that it was snappier and seemed to have more power everywhere. :shrug:

Actally has to do with having a rather large turbo from Industrial Injection, its a "Silver 62" that likes fuel and lots of rpms to get it spooled up to where it keeps egts in check.

• Owner

Well... Typically most of all my loaded towing is downhill from the mountain and don't have to pull far... But now I've rebuilt my trailer and been tugging around my ATV and other stuff I found that keeping right around 60-65 MPH (1,800-1,900) isn't to bad I netted ~18 MPG on my trip over to the Brownlee Res. for a fishing trip.

• 2 weeks later...