• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Filters and mechanical lift pumps

So I am ready to upgrade my lift pump but I am torn between electric and mechanical....

Electric pros are slightly lower cost and I can run pre and post filters on the pump

The mechanical pump I like more but it seams you can only run the stock filter housing and I'm not to comfortable with that idea.... 

What are your thoughts are there different filter options out there that I am not seeing for the mechanical?

I'm looking at the gdp fuel boss if that changes anything

I`m kind of the odd ball here. I like the BD Max flow pump from XPD. You can run it as a stand alone pump, or with the modular filter bases you can run it in any configuration. Pre filter, after filter, or both.  The compact design makes installation above the frame rails a breeze. http://www.thoroughbreddiesel.com/bd-diesel/flow-max-lift-pump.htm?popup=n&gclid=CNOWmaLJ-M4CFQ8yaQod53oN1Q

If I had a 2nd Gen, with a top loader OEM fuel canister. I would run this with just the W/F pre filter and put a Baldwin PF 7977 5um filter in the can.

Edited by angus

You can run other filters with the Fuel Boss, but they need to be after the pump, not before. So, in order to mount to the frame, you would need to run fuel to the pump, back to the frame rail, and up to the engine again. Not necessarily that big of a deal, just something to be aware of and plan for. That is unless you can find a way to mount something like the GDP or VPMAX universal filters in the engine bay. Also, i would keep your factory canister and run a baldwin PF7977 in it. You don't want to loose your water separation and it never hurts to have extra filtration. The Baldwin pf7977 is a really good choice by itself. It is better than factory. 

Edited by leathermaneod
  • Like 1

So the old Holley black died over labor day weekend and I am back to a used stock pump for the time being good news is with the programmer out I can't pull this Stocker below 8 psi at wot and this pump has over 150k it's still kicking due to using two stroke religiously thanks Mike for a great tip.... :thumb1:

So fuel pump just ramped up on the priority list.... 

Stock housing must stay due to 0 degree weather so heater is a must,  I'm concerned with damage to the mechanical pump with no pre filter due to foreign debris ingestion 

Should I be concerned?  my 150 dollar pump lasted 7 years is it worth the upgrade and price for the mechanical?

Edited by WiscoRedkneck