• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Gravity drain tank and shut off vales

(So confused right now.  I can't remember if I asked this question or not.  Memory and fuel system not good:doh:

I'm going to install shut off valves and install elec fuel pressure gauge.   I have an Airdog pump system.

Fuel exits the tank by a sump at bottom of the fuel tank then goes to Airdog pump then directly to  VP 44.

If  pump and water filter are below the level of fuel in the tank... I can just open valve on water filter and tank should just drain (slowly) by gravity, right? 

Thinking about locations of shut off valves... just after sump drain and just after Airdog pump.  Does that sound good or is there something better?

Thanks

Edited by 015point9

Are you just trying to put in shut off valves for filter changing purposes? Keep fuel spillage low?

If you put shut off valve after the tank but before the Airdog and another shut off valve after the Airdog but before the VP that would accomplish that.

Otherwise I'm not sure what you're attempting to do with the valves with it draining back by gravity. For my filter changes on the FASS I use THESE I found on amazon.

3 hours ago, notlimah said:

Thanks for reply....

Basically I want something "bullet proof" that I'll never have to mess with again. FASS system broke down (11 years old) in Yuma, AZ.  We're from Seattle, long ways from home.   Not able to drop fuel tank at RV campground,  had to tow  it to mechanic(s) They didn't do that hot of job, so I'm re-doing some things in fuel line.  Example,  I removed a piece of schedule 40 PVC pipe they used as extension of fuel line) etc. Don't ever want to be in the situation again. 

Being I'm putting in a low fuel pressure gauge (messing with fuel line anyways) thought I would put in shut off valves.  Shut off valves  might be helpful if anything else falls apart in fuel line or change filters, etc.

Here is what I have planed (but don't have much experience working on this truck, even though I've owned it since 2005 most people have more info than I do on this thing.) 

Starting at sump... install a shut off valve, then install a "T".  On blank side of "T" install a "ball valve" so I could drain fuel if somebody needed a couple gallons.  Or by mistake,  if ever fill up with gas again, I could drain the tank.  (Happened only once:mad:)Then continue to Airdog pump.  Then another shut off just after Airdog pump.  Then just before VP44,  a port for low fuel pressure gauge and test port. 

(Those line pinchers, not sure if I'd like them... (You could just use vice grips) When I used to change my FASS filters I just unscrewed them one at a time, put on new filter then back off 1 or 2 turns, then bump key to turn pump on.  When a little bit of fuel drips out of top of filter (all air is displaced with fuel) tighten filter and start motor. Then do the same to other filter.  My old FASS system,  for some reason the rubber ring used to get caught and had to remember to make sure it was out before putting in new filter. And not unusual that I would have to tighten fuel filter about every 3,000 miles. But so far was more happy with FASS than Airdog.  Time will tell.)

Edited by 015point9
question

Well sounds like you pretty much got it figured out. I'd cap off the T portion you'd use to transfer fuel as well just to eliminate the possibility of leaks. Other then that it should be a pretty straight forward installation. Just make sure you use diesel compatible sealant.