• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Dealership Coolant vs Aftermarket Coolant

Im trying to get some info on which is the best recommend  coolant for my 2000 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 24Valve. Im going to change my water pump today and drain all the coolant, so i was wondering if there is another route to take verse buying the coolant at the dealership for 24.35 really not trying to go that route

The parts man at dodge just told me as long at its the green i should be good. He said that the green all come from the same place just different labels on there. so if this is helpful everyone can now save a few bucks

Edited by Crushice

I've noticed that the antifreeze you get at the dealer or Cummins locations is Propylene Glycol because its less toxic.  But what you want is Ethylene Glycol because it does a better job dissipating heat.  The regular old green stuff at the parts stores is EG.  There are PG antifreezes too but they're usually specific.  Get a couple gallons of green concentrate and a few gallons of distilled water and the whole thing will run you about $30.  Get the 50/50 stuff and you'll spend twice that. :thumbup2:

Thanks a lot Katoom, i actually went with the coolant at napa which was an Ethylene Glycol green and I'm glad i did because after reading what you just put makes sense. I've bought the coolant once before from the dealer and its just to costly. plus when i went to napa to get the water pump and coolant the lady gave me 20% off of everything. so that was an blessed day but thank you so much for the input its great having forum like this

• Like 1