• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

• Owner
2 hours ago, 01cummins4ever said:

Would be interesting to read why the big engine manufactures choose post turbo probe,  on my freightliner with series 60 Detroit I never see more than 1000 degree on the gauge, under the heaviest loads, 900 being the safe zone.

I can tell you that it's not exactly safe. I've seen first hand now with a 2006 Dodge Cummins with both pre-turbo and post turbo where the pre-turbo was getting crazy hot like +500*F hotter than the post turbo which could still reach 1000-1100*F. Stock truck with just a Banks tuner. :sofa:

• Like 1

If I remember right, the reason you wont see pyrometer thermocouples pre-turbo is because of potential failure of the thermocouple and being before the turbo.

Nonetheless, pre-turbo the highest "sustained" SAFE temperature is 1250*.  Common rule of thumb for most diesels.  Yes there is an approximate 300* difference when the thermocouple is post-turbo but the level of accuracy in that reading will be determined by location of the thermocouple.  So instead of 950* being the alternative temperature, its suggested not to run post-turbo EGT's higher than 900*. :thumbup2:

Not laid up for several weeks yet but I'll see what I can find on that page about probe placement when I end up there.  I have couple other sources I can talk to since they are relatives.  One just retired from PACCAR but worked many years for Cummins and was shop foreman for a few years at Cummins/Swan Island, PDX.   Another one works for Freightliner and was shop foremen for a few years @ McCoy Freightliner/PDX.  Maybe can get some good input from those fellas.