• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Billet Flexplate and Washer

On 11/18/2016 at 1:24 PM, TFaoro said:

That's a very sad excuse for a weld!

I don't think there's enough friction between the flex plate and the crankshaft to make the force rely solely on friction. If you have 1200 ft-lbs of torque I really don't see friction being able to hold that. Maybe I'll dust off some old books and run some calculations for the fun of it :thumbup2: 

I like Shigley, I do have a few others around if you need some more reference. He did a lot of the best modern research on bolted connections.  You are looking for "Slip critical" calculations.  It will get you in the ball park.

HTH

Hag

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 8:37 AM, Dynamic said:

Man, I would just add a good weld of equivalent size in between the ones that are already there and call it good if I already owned the flexplate. As much as I like and use the Goerend flexplate, I would not throw away that BD just because of the weld issue. But, like I said, that is assuming that the BD plate has already been used. If it were a brand new one, fresh out of the box, I would demand a properly welded piece or, more practically, send it back and buy the Goerend.

I didn't know that Dave was backordered on his flexplates. I just bought one to use on Russ Roth's build last week. I must have gotten one of his last ones...

Glad I slid in under the wire on that!!  =)

• 2 weeks later...

It was only 15 degrees last night and a whopping 20 degrees right now in beautiful balmy liberal Massachusetts. I just installed the flexplate to crank and torqued to 105 ft-lbs and used red loctite. Does temperature play a role in the torque specs in this situation?

Edited by CTcummins24V