• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Door Rust

IMG_3440.JPG.dc28e7bfa75a23a7239cc8256643c30e.JPGWanting some opinions here on the rusty door problem our rams have. I'm about to drop $1000 on Omni plus paint to put a new paint job on my truck. I have a great body man who is helping me do it right. I'm doing all the grunt work. 

So my question is what would you do to repair knowing you are trying to put a quality paint job on. 

I have three options. 

A 2" patch for each door skin. Patches will have to be butt welded in and the. Bondo sand prime and paint. A lot of work but lowest cost option. 

I could buy whole door skin from lmc, and remove old skin and attach New to existing doors. That costs a lot more but would be easier to install with less welding and no butt welds.

Or I could buy used (no rust) doors and prime and paint. Way expensive but no welding and I'd have to find them of course. 

In my opinion you can't stop rust, cut it out or replace whole door. Changing skin and not inside part will make it come back, you could send blast inside part before putting new skin on. 

I think sometimes it's cheaper to get a rust free gasser with bad motor or tranny for cheap. 

I also sprayed oil everywhere I could in my truck, it seemed to stop the rust or slowed it down tremendously. Just park it on gravel somewhere overnight. And don't use used oil. My doors were worse than yours. If your doors are that way, then alot of other places will be same. 

• Like 2