• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

need some help guys....

so i went to the pawn shop earlier to sell some tool boxes, and i noticed my truck took a fraction of a second too long to crank...i thought no big deal...and then goin there(it's only a mile from my house) i felt what i thought may be the dreaded dead pedal...but in my case it was that it went back to idle with my foot on it....so anyway i ignored it.... i then left the pawn shop(with my toolboxes still) and drove at the most 2 miles and all of a sudden it starts missing and dies on me....i had to get pulled to a friend's house by a 6.7 too... so anyway...before the questions arise, i'm running an air tex stock replacement fuel pump, which works...but admitedly no fuel pressure gauge...but no chip...and the pump has been on the truck three months at the most...and i can still hear it buzzing.... and now the truck turns over and acts like it ain't got no fuel...but i have a 1/4 of a tank according to the gauge that has always worked and i have fuel in the fuel filter bowl too... oh and ZERO codes thrown...which would mean the VP is fine right? so my question is, could my fuel sender decided to have died all of the sudden? also...i still have the quad harness installed and wired up, but not connected to the DLC or map plugs, could that be causing my problems? mike, you will be gettin a call from me shortly

Did you crack the injector lines to see if you have fuel getting there. The harness shouldn't affect anything if it is out of the loop like you say. I would put a few gallons of fuel in it and retry. I have read of stock fuel pickup tubes cracking and you will suck air at about 1/4 tank.

I would have to agree with Wild and Free. If you don't get fuel at the injectors, try at the fuel filter and then try at the lift pump. At least that way you will know where the problem is. The sender unit is a $70 part. Take a good look at any rubber hose like he says. If it has any cracks, I would replace it. It doesn't take much air in the system to wreak havoc on these engines! Good luck!

• Owner

I got a phone call from him... He's got no fuel pressure gauge and no idea if the fuel pump is working. Also he's got no tools current in the truck so he's headed home to get tools and check for fuel flow to the VP44 and try a re-prime and see if the VP44 is spraying fuel to the injectors... I'm under the impression maybe he ran out of fuel?? :shrug: (Fuel filter housing not full)

That happened to me.Gauge = 1/4 tank and i sucked it dry.Just needed fuel. I hope thats the problem.New pump is a bad day.On the other hand the lp could be bad.He should bump the key just to here if it is running.

• Owner

That happened to me.Gauge = 1/4 tank and i sucked it dry.Just needed fuel. I hope thats the problem.New pump is a bad day.On the other hand the lp could be bad.He should bump the key just to here if it is running.

Not exactly a good way to judge a lift pump... I've seen dead truck out here along the highway and the owner would bump the starter and here a buzzing noise. But no fuel ever came out...

http://forum.mopar1973man.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=323

Funny part was i took apart the lift pump and found his plastic hub gone... It must of chewed it up and sent it down the line... :stuned:

the first time i change the fuel filter after i bought my truck, i bumped the starter so it would fill the canister. 3 bumps later and the canister wasn't even half full! you could hear the pump running...it just wasn't moving fuel...i made it a year before i put the airdog system on

Not exactly a good way to judge a lift pump... I've seen dead truck out here along the highway and the owner would bump the starter and here a buzzing noise. But no fuel ever came out... http://forum.mopar1973man.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=323 Funny part was i took apart the lift pump and found his plastic hub gone... It must of chewed it up and sent it down the line... :stuned:

I think this one would of sounded strange?When things go bad there is a list of things to check.I think what i said is on that list.Lp working (pumping fuel) or not it still has to be done.The lp could not be getting power.So you are overruled both of you:nono:. When diagnosing fuel problems the lp still needs power.Next would be flow.But i know what you both are saying and it is a good point:).If i dont prefill my fass it will have a hard time to prime it self.