• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Problem Exporting Logs

kzimmer

Hello @Quadzilla Power,

I've been having an issue since I installed my IQuadBT that I'd like to rectify. For the most part, everything is great. I have quite a few intermittent connection issues but I've learned to deal with them. The biggest problem is the "Failed to Export" message I get when trying to capture a data log, of any size. I really need to do some data logging on my primary device, an Android In-Dash head unit, running version 4.4.4. I can export on my Samsung Galaxy S4 running 6.0.1. However, my tunes are on the in-dash unit, and there is no easy way that I know of for switching tunes back and forth. And all of my tweaks and changes are on the primary device.

The device is rooted,and I ran fix permissions and wiped the dalvik cache. Still no go. I'm ready to try anything except for flashing a different android firmware. Can you guys help me out troubleshooting this? It seems that Iquad can't create the .csv for for export, so maybe there still is a permission issue of some kind. Any and all help is appreciated.

Thank you,

-Kole

• Owner

How much RAM do you have? I don't mean total storage. I'm talking how much software RAM do you have after everything is running. Like my LG G3 phone is only 3GB or total RAM but after being booted up its using about 2.3 GB so there is very little processing RAM left for logs so mine is extremely slow.

9 hours ago, kzimmer said:

Any insight on this @Quadzilla Power? I would very much appreciate the help.

There may be an issue with car android being able to write to files that hte Quadzilla needs for the data export.  

I know there are issues that revolve around having the Iquad software on a head unit.

7 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

How much RAM do you have? I don't mean total storage. I'm talking how much software RAM do you have after everything is running. Like my LG G3 phone is only 3GB or total RAM but after being booted up its using about 2.3 GB so there is very little processing RAM left for logs so mine is extremely slow.

I'll have to double check, I want to say I have around 1.8 GB RAM while apps are running. I don't think this is an issue, since a 3 second log still has the same issue as a 3 minute log.

5 hours ago, Me78569 said:

There may be an issue with car android being able to write to files that hte Quadzilla needs for the data export.  

I know there are issues that revolve around having the Iquad software on a head unit.

Exactly what I'm thinking. I would just really like to know the directory and files being written to so I can check read/write mounting and permissions. I'm rooted so I should be able to take care of it if the app developers can just give me a file location. Everything else works great, unless I update it android 5.0.... then Iquad won't connect even though all bluetooth devices work awesome, including my cheap chinese ELM327, even the Iquad pairs, the app just doesn't communicate. Definitely some shortcomings in the app that I would be interested in trying to fix. One thing at a time though, haha.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh Man, I wish I could give you all the information. Its not secret, I just don't know it off the top of my head. 

One thing may be that you need to have an email setup. Without that, it won't export properly, I don't know why. 

I will have to inquire about the directory stuff. 

On 5/25/2017 at 8:53 AM, Quadzilla Power said:

Oh Man, I wish I could give you all the information. Its not secret, I just don't know it off the top of my head. 

One thing may be that you need to have an email setup. Without that, it won't export properly, I don't know why. 

I will have to inquire about the directory stuff. 

Definitely have e-mail setup on the device already, so I guess that's not my problem, but very good information to have, thank you.

On 5/26/2017 at 1:31 PM, Mopar1973Man said:

Path...

/Internal Storage/Android/data/com.quadzillapower.iQuad/cache

This is where exports are stored. So you need to export it to something like Email to get it on the directory.

Crap, I found this directory already and made sure I had write access to it. Created a folder inside to be sure. Thank you for your help.

Back to the old drawing board!

-Kole

Edit: Is it possible there is some sort of working directory where it processes the log before it exports to that location?

Edited by kzimmer

On 5/29/2017 at 11:47 AM, kzimmer said:

Edit: Is it possible there is some sort of working directory where it processes the log before it exports to that location?

It is processed in RAM and stored in internal structures before trying to export. It needs to be exported before going into that directory above. 

4 hours ago, Quadzilla Power said:

It is processed in RAM and stored in internal structures before trying to export. It needs to be exported before going into that directory above. 

Interesting. Mine won't make it to that directory, which makes sense since it fails to export. Now... Are there any error log files stored by the app that might point us in the right direction?

On 5/30/2017 at 6:27 PM, kzimmer said:

Interesting. Mine won't make it to that directory, which makes sense since it fails to export. Now... Are there any error log files stored by the app that might point us in the right direction?

Maybe. I know that's a cruddy answer, but some of the builds have a debugger switch and some don't. It will also depend on the OS version. The even cruddier part is that I can't access those logs and only my developer can. Have you been able to "report" when it crashes? That might be helpful in figuring out what's going wrong. 

2 hours ago, Quadzilla Power said:

Have you been able to "report" when it crashes? That might be helpful in figuring out what's going wrong. 

I don't think I've ever seen the option to report. Does this usually pop up when things go wrong?

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/6/2017 at 7:44 AM, Quadzilla Power said:

Yes, if the app crashes, you will usually get a "report this" button to pop up.

I get plenty of crashes/disconnects, and I've never seen that pop up. About 1/3 of the time I re-load a custom tune I get a notice that the app has stopped. Maybe It's there and I have always ignored it, haha. I have actually been able to recreate one bug. If I load a custom tune, and around 5-10 seconds later go back to the main screen and try to change power levels, the app locks up. Eventually Android tells me the app is not responding, and asks if I would like to terminate it.

@Quadzilla Power, do you have any more suggestions on what I could try to get the log export working? I'm down to try almost anything that doesn't involve a hammer at this point.

-Kole

3 hours ago, Me78569 said:

When you hit the "export tune" or "export datalog" button the Iquad app puts an intent out to the device to ask what programs can handle folder navigation.  

If you have a folder app installed you should be able to save those files where ever you like.  Something like fx folder or something.

16 minutes ago, kzimmer said:

Yeah, that works great on my phone. But on mine I can't even get that far. I just get a "failed to export" derp message, with no alternatives. Seems like a permission problem, but permissions are good.

13 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

The permissions on the root much be different on the headunit vs phone

10 minutes ago, kzimmer said:

You'd think so. I ran a fix permissions app, but I wonder if it doesn't go into root permissions...

Just pasting in a short but relevant conversation from another thread.

-Kole

On 26/06/2017 at 8:46 AM, Quadzilla Power said:

Honestly, I don't have any idea why it wouldn't work. I will have to dig in to find out what the steps are and what permissions or settings need to be set in order to export the data-log.

That would be awesome, thanks in advance.

So I decided I would spend a few hours playing around tonight, wiped the device, replaced OS 4.4.4 with a completely different 5.1.1 (which is much nicer btw). Still failed to export...and actually introduced another problem. The Bluetooth on the device is working, shows the quad connected, my phone is connected, all is good. But the iQuad app doesn't see any connected devices. Doesn't make much sense since Bluetooth is working. I'm thinking there must be some incompatibility with the RK3188 processor.

@Quadzilla Power, I could really use some support here. I'm more than frustrated.