• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I've been researching for awhile and I am more lost then when I started... My HX35 is mashed potatoes and it's time to throw it in the scrap pile. 

I've been looking at the Smeding Diesel Borg Warner "drop in" turbos because I've heard good things for the price. My truck has a FASS150, 150hp injectors, Quad ADR, 103# springs, a 5" pipe on it and it's a 5speed. I use it for work and moderate towing, I won't be taking it to the strip anytime soon, if ever. Turbo config I'm leaning towards is a 362/68/14, think that will fit the bill? They also offer a 362/65/14 and 366/68/14, 366/73/14 which I've determined is most likely too laggy. Just need some incite, ideas, opinions from reputable people. Thank you.

Edited by Arodrigues29

• Staff

I'm sorry I can't answer your question. I hope others will jump on board soon with better advice. I know very little about power mods.

:burnout:I used to be in a lot of trouble over an impulsive lead foot. I had to quit that

How come we haven't seen you around in awhile? You have a nice truck ....just like mine... a black sport lol.

I just bought a matching black 2001 for my main work truck. Neighbors still think I have one truck with both being black like they are.

JAG. I've just been in the loop of burning the candle at both ends, work has been insane! I picked up a few extra shifts at my P/T gig at night too because I'm determined to buy a house by 30. I only have 1.5 years left so I'm trying to squirrel.

Cummins tech- Thank you I'm assuming the 62/68 will give me a touch more top end, correct?

Edited by Arodrigues29
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, CumminsTech said:

Yeah the 68 will light a tad bit higher in the rpm range but I think would still be very tolerable for towing. Do they offer any it the aforementioned turbos with a 12cm exhaust housing? Or just 14?

All are available as 12 or 14

It's go s362 68 12 or s363 68 12 or if u really want to play 64 I run a custom built hx 63 68 12 and love it it lights around 1500 and I start to make boost around 1250 so it's awesome to daily  u wanna work the truck stay small but my buddy has a VP truck and daily's a s366 with a tst comp and 7x 10s and it runs fine he also tows with it but it is a .91 t4 with t4 manifold so u have options 

Edited by Silverdodge

On 5/14/2017 at 7:09 PM, Mopar1973Man said:

If you don't want that turbo I'll take it off your hands if you're going to scrap it out.

You are more then welcomed to it, just pay the shipping and it's yours. Just want to forewarn that there's a ton of shaft play and the flange is cracked and has been drilled out. 

• Owner
9 hours ago, Arodrigues29 said:

. Just want to forewarn that there's a ton of shaft play

Shaft play you can fix with a rebuilt kit. Those are cheap.

9 hours ago, Arodrigues29 said:

nd the flange is cracked and has been drilled out. 

As for the crack that a problem. Darn... Now it's not so appealing... I would have to find an exhaust housing then.

• Staff

Thanks, Supposedly Pacific is looking for a housing to rebuild one for me but it's been couple weeks and haven't called me. In the mean time I can hear mine spinning fine after shutdown. I think one should always listen for the spin after shutting down for clues as to how it is doing, spinning freely etc., but  the best is to remove intake tube and check when warm is my recent experience.

11 hours ago, Arodrigues29 said:

You are more then welcomed to it, just pay the shipping and it's yours. Just want to forewarn that there's a ton of shaft play and the flange is cracked and has been drilled out. 

Could you PM me so photos, if Moparman doesn't take it I will as I am looking to build a hybrid so this sounds like a good option for me.

8 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Shaft play you can fix with a rebuilt kit. Those are cheap.

As for the crack that a problem. Darn... Now it's not so appealing... I would have to find an exhaust housing then.

The crack is why I'm giving up on it, that plus I'd like a little extra go fast. 16 years of New England weather, that exhaust housing is not going to seperate easily

2 hours ago, jlbayes said:

The 63 has a larger exducer than the 62. Intended for different applications from Borg. You really wouldn't see a difference. The 62 compressor is old tech. 63 is a bit more current.

It's funny because the 62s wheel is really 61.4 but the 63s is 62.99. I think I'm going with a 63/68/12. In reality i freight me bed more then I tow so I don't think the later spin will drive me to insane over a 62/65/12.