• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Front outer axle seal leaking, help

The outer seal in the drivers side of the front axle is leaking and getting worse.  I first noticed this at a hotel a month ago then last night at the hotel we left a puddle on the ground, I know gear oil when I smell it so I know that the axle is leaking fluid onto the tyre and ground.  I've done this before but never on this axle or this truck my question's are do you guys know of any tips or trick when it comes to these trucks do I need an axle puller how much time do you reckon is involved in this repair.   Any input or advice is appreciated right now is the worst time for this truck to go down with a major repair thanks in advance.

Edited by WiscoRedkneck

Wouldn't it also suck because you will have to remove all the stuff on the driver side...i.e. tire, brakes, axle nut from hell, hubs, and steering knuckle. And then at that point,  you can pull out the axle to reseal it..... 

If your truck is anything like mine,  your going to be replacing way more than just an axle seal because you will be finding broken parts along the way,  or breaking parts trying to remove them. 

So long story short I think I'm on my own on this one.  Everyone is to busy or doesn't want to do the work, I think I'll be installing a new carrier with selectable locker in this process, any thoughts are appreciated.  

I may pull the whole axle and take it to TNT and have them do it but then I'm out of a truck at least a week maybe two.

I don't want to steer you from front locker but from personal experience if you leave it open, less chance for breaking u joints and axles when you bite traction, especially wit oversized tires. I my opinion rear would be more important to lock. But I've been in plenty off road madness and had trucks with and without front locker and yes big difference. But how often are you going to be off road using it. Maybe removable winch that can be used front or back would be money better spent. My winch can go front back and on a trailer and truck is wired up so I can use it in all positions. 

Other than that I agree, might as well go through front end while you're at it. 

• Like 3

Having a friend take the truck and go through the whole front end for 700 we also talked about the selectable full locker he explainded to me the way the truck is used it would be a huge benefit but also pretty much repeated dieselfuture's comment.  Stating "swap it to a non c.a.d axle with manual locking hubs and then think about a locker otherwise you'll be picking your truck's front axle up in pieces on the ground".  

So maybe that'll happen some day otherwise a winch is in the real near future considering I'm going off pavement for about a month pulling a 30' trailer

• Like 2

Just a side note, cheaper Chinese winches  ( the one I got 12000lb harbor freight ), are more likely to pull more amps, get hot and overload alternator. So when I use mine I use high idle and if need to winch a lot, I give it brakes. There are few tricks on using winch that can minimize the impact on frying things. Best to research it.:2cents:

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies it's now in my friends hands to finish.  I'd do it myself but my garage is overflowing into the driveway with a truck getting a 5.3 swap a clean room to build the motor, two motors, two transmissions plus parts and pieces from two wrecked cars.  Anyone want a healthy built 5.7 and a 4l60 with 3 and 4 blown out of it :whistle2:

@WiscoRedkneck What'd you do to that poor 4L60??  Did you try the old timer "Self-Alignment" trick of going as fast as you can in reverse and then quickly shifting all the way to 1st?  Heard that's the best way to realign all the sun gears.....

Edited by trreed

:lol2: No, I pushed a sprayed 383 past the limits of the transmission lost drive and overdrive. Then found I still had 1 and 2 but had to manually shift the transmission with the column shift otherwise it's a lame duck.

Now I'm shooting for 2 turbos a 5.3 and a 4l80.

Edited by WiscoRedkneck