• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

So, finally got the truck all ready to go since rebiild. I got 1100 trouble free miles on it.  Been pushing it hard, trying to weed out any bugs or issues. 

Hook up the 5th wheel,  get going down the road,  4 miles....4 #@&#$! miles...

And I blow a freeze plug on right under turbo on the water jacket. 4 miles....

Now, before ya ask, yes, I replaced all the freeze plugs during the build. However, I had them done at the machine shop when the block was getting worked over. 

So, now what...roadside assistance got me home....but for some reason I don't think the answer is to just put in a new freeze plug and then "go see what happens."

I will be calling the machine shop on Monday to see their thoughts,  and to give them a piece of my mind. 

Any thoughts on better freeze plugs? I know a block off plate would probably just cause a different one to blow...Can I trust that the rest of the plugs where done properly?  

Once it is fixed, how do I load the motor down to the point where it would be the same as towing the 5th wheel so I can test it out without risking the trailer or having to have both towed back home.

20170610_115003.jpg

20170610_141112.jpg

• Like 1

http://www.xtremediesel.com/attitude-performance-1009-bolt-on-side-freeze-plug.aspx

Any thoughts on putting these in instead of the regular ones?

I'd do the 3 on side and the one in back....

Or, how about one of these....

http://www.enterpriseengine.com/product/cummins-coolant-water-bypass-kit-89-02-dodge-3-9-5-9-4bt-6bt-12v-24v-diesel-engine-12-24v-water-bypass-kit/

Edited by Mariocand

• Staff

I like the billet style freeze plug in the first link. Like there is no worry if installed correct or not due to its design. However, its a bit pricey and I wouldn't need the shine bling aspect, so I would try finding some less money that made of steel. Especially since I think steel parts for a cooling system is better. Mixing aluminum and steel tends to make metals corrode. JMHO.

btw, I'm glad it happened 4 miles and not 200 miles away. Lol

Edited by JAG1

After checking all my before and after pictures, I believe that the shop didnt push the freeze plugs in far enough. They where only about half way in compared to the ones when I pulled the motor out. 

I am sure that these will fix the issue... I also did a retaining plate from Industrial Injection across the back since that one was still good. Not sure how I would have got that out to begin wirg. 

20170614_145740.jpg

20170614_150244.jpg

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Might be true... Sure won't blow out when it freezes either. 

I definitely took that into consideration when I went this route. However, where I am living at for the forseeable future makes a freeze blow out negligable since it may get into the 20's only a couple times a year. I always have the coolant at 70/30 as well. 

I spent 7 years in Fairbanks, AK with a 3rd gen 6.7 Cummims and never had issues with it freezing. Although, I did have way more heating elements in it than this one.  Besides the block heater in the water jacket,  I also had heating pads on the oil and tranny pan and one under each battery all ran to a 4 way plug. Even when the kids or dogs unpluged the truck at -40, no issues, except for batteries not having enough power to cycle heater grid. Usually had to plug it all in for a hour or 2 to get her going again. 

• Like 1