• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

E15

I ran the tank down a bit further than normal in order to give E15 fuel a try.  For those that don't know, E15 is gasoline that is 15% ethanol..............where "normal" 87 octane gas is usually E10 or 10% ethanol.

Wanted to try it because it runs 5-10% cheaper than regular 87 unleaded, and because it's 88 octane vs. 87.  Hoping that the decrease in energy in the fuel will be offset by the flex fuel  feature on my truck which adjusts timing due to "knock".  Just experimenting.  Thinking that if theres and increase in timing it'll offset the lower energy in the fuel.

What thinks the brain trust here???

• Owner
3 hours ago, dorkweed said:

Understood;  but am hoping the 88 octane (thus increased timing, theoretically) will offset this!!

No. It wont. Timing is computer controlled unless you got a tuner. Octane is the sbility to RESIST ignition by compression. Like im running Mopar Performance PCM it requires 92 octane to prevent knock/ping issues. On that truck the timing is cranked up to 40* BTC.

Not sure where you're going but I know few guys that run e85 in race cars but they burn it twice as fast but motors run cooler. And every time my mom filled her car with it her mpg went to crapper and I drove it just to see if there is more power I thought it was more doggier, but not 100% sure since it's not my car and I don't usually drive it.

• Owner
11 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

And every time my mom filled her car with it her mpg went to crapper and I drove it just to see if there is more power I thought it was more doggier

Again E85 is only 75% of the BTU value (81k BTU's) than normal clear gasoline has (114k BTU's). 

1.5 gallons of ethanol has the same energy content as 1.0 gallon of gasoline.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Owner

Something I found in Ram's FSM... Just figured I'd toss it out here as well.

Because E·85 fuel contains less energy per gallon than gasoline, you will experience an increase in fuel consumption. You can expect your MPG and your driving range to decrease by about 30% compared to gasoline operation.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

14 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Something I found in Ram's FSM... Just figured I'd toss it out here as well.

Because E·85 fuel contains less energy per gallon than gasoline, you will experience an increase in fuel consumption. You can expect your MPG and your driving range to decrease by about 30% compared to gasoline operation.

Does your FSM say the 96 is ok to run E-85?  Not sure the wife 98 Saturn is set up for it. Going to have to look into that iif they up the content of ethanol any higher the 10%.

Had a good chance to test out my "experiment" today.  Drove out to eastern Iowa from NE Illinois today for a retriever hunt test;   and then back today.  With the E15 in my tank, my "Lie-O-Meter" is reading 20.6mpg.  Around 400 miles round trip.

Under very, very, similar conditions and miles last week on a trip to Tomah, WI and back to my place on regular 87 octane regular unleaded, my Lie-O-Meter was reading 21.8mpg.

The E15 lack of "Energy" is very noticeable going up hills and grades.............the Lie-O-Meter drops very fast when compared to regular E10.  Maybe the lack of energy in the fuel was enhanced by where I drove to today.  Once I get about 70 mile West;  it gets really, really hilly.................where the vehicles have to "work" to get up the grades.  

I still plan to refill with E15 to get a more "unbiased" opinion...........................

Stay tuned.