• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Ecm swap

I am looking for someone wanting to swap ecm's. I have an 02 manual ecm 235hp and I'm looking for someone with an 02 auto ecm that wants to swap. I can confirm the anti stall feature is present and functioning as that is the reason I am looking to swap. Trying to stop this thing in gear is like trying to stop a freight train (Allison 6 speed with extra low stall). It's never had a Smarty hooked up to it, completely stock. Pm me if you're interested. 

20170826_083335.jpg

It's a Yukon (same thing just a little shorter wheelbase. Getting the parts to fit in the truck was a breeze, getting them all to play nice has been a chore. I'm not even a mechanic so I just research the crap out of everything and rely on people I trust to give me good info. I've looked far and wide and haven't found anything close to like it and I'm damn proud of that. Now if I can just get everything wrapped up by winter so I don't have to ride the motorcycle in the ice. I do have proof that an Allison 5 speed can be very easily converted to a 6 speed.?

• Like 1

Oh. I gotcha. I would need a vin for that which I suppose I could get by looking at websites that sell salvage vehicles. My Dodge dealership claims they don't know how and the Cummins service shop looked at it like I was bringing a dead rat into their shop. Do you know someone?

Hmmm...my boss has a 99 that he has a smarty for. It's for his backup truck so I'm sure he'd let me borrow it. Will that work? I like the way you think. Do I get a recovery file from Bob Wagner? I had a brief conversation with him at one point about this and he never mentioned this solution. I guess I just figured that meant it wouldn't help. Also, I have no pcm but I do have access to the databus. My tcm has an obd connector and the trans and ecm are on the same bus for the purpose of sharing tps info. Do you think this will work?

Edited by Scottfunk

Haven't heard back from Bob yet so I stopped by the Cummins dealer on my way home from work. Happened to bump into the service manager and he said they can bench the ecm and they'll try to just disable the anti stall. If that doesn't work they'll flash it to an auto calibration for me. Hundred bucks.

I'd pay the hundred just to have the anti stall disabled. Everything is working really well right now and I'm afraid I'll be opening another can of of worms going to an auto calibration. I've heard (and everyone has their own version) that an auto calibration might be looking for a tailshaft rotation. I've read stories about guys getting limited to 1900 rpms after a flash like that and I don't need more problems to figure out.

They Can disable where the engine picks up road speed from the tailshaft in features and parameters right away if they are already hooked up should not charge you any more for changing more than one parameter.

Now going back and reading the post some more I realized you did have an Allison you should be able to in the ECM parameters choose that you have an (auto) Allison transmission behind it and can have a tail shaft speed pick up if your transmission is equipped with one

My tcm and the ecm communicate on the databus for the purpose of sharing tps info like the md trucks do. There was also a wire from the tcm that I was instructed by my tcm harness builder to connect directly to the ecm I believe for that purpose. I'd really like to stick to the manual calibration and just disable the anti stall. The dealer said he just wasn't sure if anti stall was a parameter. Have you ever looked for that?

Fair enough. If I understand you though, if the anti stall use not a parameter then my other option is to go to an auto calibration and have the tail shaft disabled. My only question about that setup would be I am currently using my quadzilla with a 10 inch tablet for my gauge cluster. If the ecm is no longer looking for tail shaft rotation would it still broadcast speed info so I can have a speedometer?