• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Starting issues

I have a '99 24-valve Cummins that recently has been having starting issues.  It was taking a long time cranking to start but I got my batteries tested and one was replaced under warranty.  I also cleaned the terminals at that time and it was back to starting right up usually on the second or third crank.  Then about 2 or 3 weeks ago I jumped in and turned the key to get nothing from the starter at all.  I popped the hood and kinda felt the main wires and tapped on the starter.  Then my neighbor came and turned the key while I looked under the hood and boom, started right up.  Then it was fine until two days ago I drove to the gas station and on the way there my check engine light came on.  I turned off the truck went inside and when I came back out it would crank but not start.  I left to get a code reader and came back about an hour and a half later and the code reader said 1 ECM code and 2 OBDII codes, but they were all P0336.  I cleared the codes and the truck started (weakly, but the batteries were drawn down at this point).  Then I drove it home, the check engine light came back so I rechecked it, same code P0336, cleared it and restarted the truck and just let it idle for like 15 minutes.  The check engine light did not come back on.

Then today I got in and the starter sounded really weak, like not getting enough juice, but it did start and got me to work.

Now, I got in to go home and it sounded like the starter was barely getting enough power so I got a coworker to give me a jump, but when I turned my key with the jumper cables hooked up it got dash lights only, the starter wasn't even turning at all.  I tapped on it but that didn't help.

The starter is only 2-3 years old.  I'm thinking maybe bad wiring going to the starter?  Mostly thinking this because when it works, it starts right up, but intermittently it will crank for a while.

Please help, I just put a new nv4500 and valair clutch in this truck and starting to regret it already.  I'm afraid of needing ECM or VP because I cannot afford it at this time and this is my only vehicle.

• Staff

Sounds like you have 2 problems.

1. P0336 : crank shaft position sensor going bad or bad connection at the sensor causing the no start problem .  

2. Starter sounding weak turns over slowly.  Since you tested/replaced the batteries, they can be ruled out as the problem.

Do a voltage drop test of the cable/terminals between the batteries, battery and starter and also the grounds.  If they test     O K then the starter motor has either bad contacts in the solenoid or a bad winding in the armature.  

• Like 1

• Owner

Check both fuses. Check both with ohm meter I've seen fuses crack and visually look fine but ohm them out and find there bad.

Check your clutch safety switch. If the contacts are worn it might not start.

Starter relay. If the starter relay contacts are bad it might randomly start or not.

Starter contacts. Same with the starter contact it might randomly start or not.

Here is the starter wiring...

69orc8.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hilbily4x4 said:

...It was taking a long time cranking to start but I got my batteries tested and one was replaced under warranty...

Did you only replace 1 battery?  You ought to change out both of them at the same time, even if the one you kept checked good.