• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Anyone Ever Travel/ Camp the Black Hills of N. Dakota?

So where do you want to camp, North or South Dakota? The Black Hills are in South Dakota, here in North Dakota we have the Badlands. You just insulted both states with the title of this thread lol.

I could give advice on both but need to know which area you want to check out, the Black hills of SOUTH DAKOTA are about 3 hours south of the Badlands of NORTH DAKOTA, both are worth the time to check out, The Black Hills is scenic but a huge tourist trap around every single corner, The Badlands of north dakota are pure unspoiled rough natural beauty which Theadore Roosevelt wrote and talked about every chance he got as president since he lived and ranched there.

Edited by Wild and Free
  • Like 1

• Staff

Yep, thanks Wild and Free I had locations confused. Yes I'm interested in both if anyone can recommend some must see or some must avoid places, I would be very thankful. Oh yeah some great campgrounds too if any struck you the right way.

Edited by JAG1

• Staff

My wife and I are planning our next trip and the Dakotas are going to be included .  I want to go the first week of May and Jennifer wants to go the first week of September.  We'll be on the road for three to four weeks going to other states.

When's the best time to see those states, Spring or Fall?

I do plan on seeing the Badlands, Mount Rushmore and the Black Hills.  What are the other must see spots and don't tell me it's Sturgis?

1 hour ago, IBMobile said:

My wife and I are planning our next trip and the Dakotas are going to be included .  I want to go the first week of May and Jennifer wants to go the first week of September.  We'll be on the road for three to four weeks going to other states.

When's the best time to see those states, Spring or Fall?

I do plan on seeing the Badlands, Mount Rushmore and the Black Hills.  What are the other must see spots and don't tell me it's Sturgis?

First week of May is a bit early for site seeing these areas as things can be real iffy weather wise and things could still be covered in snow and things have not come to life yet after winter season. First week of September would definitely be best for both areas.

3 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Yep, thanks Wild and Free I had locations confused. Yes I'm interested in both if anyone can recommend some must see or some must avoid places, I would be very thankful. Oh yeah some great campgrounds too if any struck you the right way.

There are many places to stay in the Black Hills area here is a map just for reference. It is a relatively small area and if you pick a spot near MT Rushmore which is close to the middle of the Hills you are only an hour drive to most everything the hills has to offer. Even staging out of Rapid city which is right on the east side of the hills will get you to most places in the Hills within an hours drive.

A must see is the Crazy horse monument and plan on being there for several hours to take it all in. Hill City has a lot of things to see and do as well, one of my wife and i favorite spots to take in the museums and such. Spearfish canyon is a beautiful place to go hiking and Deadwood is a fun place too lots of history on the main street and especially if you are into gaming.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS751US751&q=black+hills+campgrounds&npsic=0&rflfq=1&rlha=0&rllag=43947090,-103680871,11841&tbm=lcl&ved=0ahUKEwj-hfCDor7WAhVrwVQKHaSBD9kQtgMISw&tbs=lrf:!2m1!1e2!2m1!1e3!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:1&rldoc=1#rldoc=1&rlfi=hd:;si:;mv:!1m3!1d770613.9061454174!2d-103.51659559999996!3d43.96240515!3m2!1i1500!2i805!4f13.1;tbs:lrf:!2m1!1e2!2m1!1e3!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:1

When it comes to the North Dakota badlands, its a lot more limited as it is a national park bordering national grasslands so most of it is very tough country to access. most Campgrounds are in / around Medora which is by the Theadore Roosevelt national Park the rest has some camp grounds in the north unit and south units of the park and are mostly primitive but in the middle of very beautiful and rough country. Most is best seen by hiking or biking in but there are many drive in public access places but it covers a LOT of area.

Highway 85 runs from the black hills of SD @ Spearfish to the north all along the east side of the Badlands / National Grasslands of ND.

Edited by Wild and Free
  • Like 1

File I attached (I hope) might help.  Campgrounds covering a little bit of everything.  Expensive to free.  Confirm if still in business using google, unsure how old list is.  I think file came from POI listings?  If I attached couple files, if you like let me know and I'll post South Dakota if you want. 

https://community.fmca.com/blogs/entry/1449-rv-must-do-trip-the-badlands-of-south-dakota/

NORTH DAKOTA Campgrounds 95.csv

Edited by 015point9
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, 015point9 said:

File I attached (I hope) might help.  Campgrounds covering a little bit of everything.  Expensive to free.  Confirm if still in business using google, unsure how old list is.  I think file came from POI listings?  If I attached couple files, if you like let me know and I'll post South Dakota if you want. 

https://community.fmca.com/blogs/entry/1449-rv-must-do-trip-the-badlands-of-south-dakota/

NORTH DAKOTA Campgrounds 95.csv

Badlands Of South Dakota would be a quicky, not as nice or expansive as ND badlands. The file for Nd basically a list of every camp ground in the state from what I saw.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Wild and Free said:

Badlands Of South Dakota would be a quicky, not as nice or expansive as ND badlands. The file for Nd basically a list of every camp ground in the state from what I saw.

Correct...no ratings or how good or bad.  Just handy for trip planning.  Local info always much better. Only local info I could give is how hot it was.  Hot weather was the last thing I thought about in the Dakota's 

• Like 2

• Staff
42 minutes ago, Wild and Free said:

Good area to make a base camp then, drop off camper for a few days and just use the truck. IBM I'm thinking last week of May just before schools get out and before any summer heat or smoke from fires. When does school get out anyway?:think:

Another place close for the Base camp is Devils Tower:USflag:

Edited by JAG1

1 hour ago, 015point9 said:

Correct...no ratings or how good or bad.  Just handy for trip planning.  Local info always much better. Only local info I could give is how hot it was.  Hot weather was the last thing I thought about in the Dakota's 

HaHa yeah we are the land of extremes, -30 pretty much every winter and colder on occasion and 105+ in the summer is nothing uncommon with 80-90% humidity with it some times.

1 hour ago, JAG1 said:

Good area to make a base camp then, drop off camper for a few days and just use the truck. IBM I'm thinking last week of May just before schools get out and before any summer heat or smoke from fires. When does school get out anyway?:think:

Another place close for the Base camp is Devils Tower:USflag:

Most schools get done the last couple weeks of may.By the end of may the weather would be perfect for camping, nice warm days 70-90's and cool nights yet much better than the beginning of may which can be very unpredictable yet. You would want to spend a few days in the Black Hills area and also move up north and make base camp in medora to explore the Badlands and grasslands for a couple days or so. The drive up 85 from Spearfish SD to the border town of Bowman ND is very desolate and wide open. Takes a good 3+ hours to get to Medora from Spearfish sd not stopping running at a fair clip.

No trip to South Dakota is complete without a stop at Walldrug!!!:lol3::thanks:

Edited by Wild and Free
  • Like 1

• Staff

Thanks guys for the travel in put.  You can never have enough info when traveling into unknown areas.  We'll be going to Des Moines, Iowa, Wisconsin and Minnesota along with the Dakotas.  My wife and I are still talking over Spring or Fall trip and it my come down to a leg wrestling contest. 

I've got to go to Wall Drug and ride that 'jackolope'.:hyper: 

• Staff

Thanks to you all for the information. Looks like end of may weather is highs in the lower 70's and lows in the low 40's. Perfect weather but also heard there is more thunder storms and rain in may than most other mos. Never really know.

June - August are more prone to Bad t-storms, May is just usually super windy Could get 3 feet of snow or 3 inches of rain any day in may here on the northern plains lol..

Heck they can get snow pretty much any month of the year in the Black hills, that place is really goofy weather wise.

Edited by Wild and Free

September weather is more predictable but colors are hit and miss not too many trees that turn color in the Black Hills mostly conifers like spuce trees, birch and aspen trees and depending on the weather most trees "The few we Have" don't start to turn until late sept through October here in ND.

Edited by Wild and Free
  • Like 1

Here is a site for Medora which is in the center of the Badlands and Teddy Roosevelt NP with tons of info for the area. It's roughly 100 miles straight west of me.

http://medora.com/

Here is a list of campgrounds for the Little Missouri National grasslands which surrounds Teddy Roosevelt national park.

https://forestcamping.com/dow/northern/lm.htm

Edited by Wild and Free

• 7 months later...