• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Hi all, first post on a forum so don’t tear me up to bad. I have a deleted 2012.

I am due for a fuel filter change. I have the fuel filter in the engine compartment on order and will be installing next week.

While I’m working on the fuel system I was wondering about installing a lift pump for more fuel delivery and better fuel filter and water separator options.  I was hoping to do CAT filters but I’m having a hard time finding kits for 4th gens.

• Staff

The in tank pumps are great! They last a long time and provide adequate fuel flow for at least 450rwhp. 

The OEM filtration on the 2012’s is also pretty good, and better than a cat filter. 

Adding an additional f/w sep isn’t a bad idea, but the final filtration on the Fleetguard NanoNet is as good as it gets. FS53000 is the filter you want to run, don’t bother with a competitors cross. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/31/2017 at 8:10 PM, AH64ID said:

The in tank pumps are great! They last a long time and provide adequate fuel flow for at least 450rwhp. 

The OEM filtration on the 2012’s is also pretty good, and better than a cat filter. 

Adding an additional f/w sep isn’t a bad idea, but the final filtration on the Fleetguard NanoNet is as good as it gets. FS53000 is the filter you want to run, don’t bother with a competitors cross. 

John,

I have a few questions about the in tank pumps & was hoping you would be able to fill in some gaps.  I have done a bunch of searching around & cant seem to find the answers Im looking for...........

1. When did Dodge start putting the lift pumps into the tank @ the factory? (04?)

2. Are they all the same from whenever they started (04?) to 2017?

3. Is the factory in tank pump for the later model trucks the same pump as is in the "in tank retrofit" (Mine is a 99 & I have the Carter P76473M.

4. It appears that the long bed trucks have different "assemblies" (pump, sending unit, bypass) than the short bed units.  what is the difference?  (just the dept?).

5. You said that "they last a long time", as a rough WAG, how long is that?  50K, 100K, 150K?  

thanks

Bob

@AH64ID

Edited by Bobalos

• Staff

2005 was the first year of the in-tank lift pumps, but many 03-04's have been retrofitted with the in-tank pump. 

I don't know if they have modified them over the years or not, or if all retrofits are the same. I know at one point there was a different pump available with the B20 kit for 3rd gens, but it's no longer part of the kit. 

The short bed tank is different so I would assume that the pickup and fuel level sender are slightly different based on tank size. 

I've got 132K on mine and it's still going strong. I think I'm around 4200 hours of engine run time. 

• Like 1