• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

The return: a two part title.

Two part title because

1: I have been MIA from the site for quite a while and have now returned.  Not a big deal. but Its good to be back as I have only looked around some in the last few months I think.  Haven't contributed or posted anything in a while.

2: I just found out my leak at the fuel filter canister has RETURNED also.  Now I have read numerous threads on this subject, but seems that no one has the same extending solution problem as I do So I thought I would ask your all's opinion on fixing vs replacing vs burning to the ground. JK on the last one.  I replaced the o ring on it last year or maybe slightly longer.  It has apparently given way again.  I am torn on keeping the housing at all as I have a CAT filter and separator set up on my truck as of about 6 months ago.  The catch is I didn't have the CAT setup when I switched to the Assassin fuel pump and therefor, my fuel lines run through the factory setup also and I do not have a big line kit from the factory filter housing to the VP.  One other issue is that my fuel pressure sensor is connected on top of the factory fuel filter housing.

I know this seems as though the simple answer is to just replace the O ring again and move along.  I am only torn on because I feel that I should go ahead and install the big line kit  to the VP 44.  I can do this two ways, extend the line I have and go to the VP44 (post CAT filter) or go from housing to VP44. In addition to this, if I delete the factory housing all together I then have to find a means to receive fuel pressure.  I am sure there is a handy dandy little trinket out there for this purpose I simply don't know about yet.  This is really my only major concern as I am aware I don't really need the fuel heater.  

Then there is the option of one of the many aftermarket fuel filter setups. Such as GDP's or Geno's stuff.  I really do like the idea of keeping a filter there,  despite having the CAT filter setup, I am a sucker for extra filtration, I have no desire to purchase another VP44, once was enough.  So what would you all do.  I am very open to options and I am sure I am overlooking something obvious.  Thats why I asked you all.  Thanks

1 replace o ring and roll on.

2 replace housing with a new housing with both water separator and heater

3 replace housing with water separator but no heater

4 replace housing with heater but no water separator

5 block off plate for fuel heater and roll on

6 remove factory setup all together and rely on CAT filter for both filtering and water separation.  Which also requires a different means to receiving fuel pressure signal.

7 burn it to the ground.

1 for now maybe 7 later

I'm relying on only fass150 with its 2 filters. For pressure I just put a T in big line kit. Some days I think I should of kept factory filter also, for extra filtration and heater. I hope fass 2 micron filter is doing its job, but I also think that by running 2cycle oil is doing more good for vp then factory filter, but I also know that @Mopar1973Man had outdoor trash in his factory canister that is used after his air dog 150. But I was never a fan of opening that canister to change a filter and risk dropping garbage in. I don't know, good luck with your decision. 

I vote for #1 as well.  My truck is stock except for my FASS drp.  Not that I need it but keeping the factory fuel heater can not be a bad thing. Also @Mopar1973Man kept his for extra filtration and the heater (we both beat him to his response) :wink:. It would probably nice to have that large object out of the way for better access though.  Welcome back.

L8tr

d

Not much experience  here but couple easy things to check out.

2 things..

1 You have canister cover with socket drive in middle?...so when tighting, the seal gets equal torque over 360 degrees and not distorded over the years. 

2. Not on mine but saw a fass pump that where filter seals against the metal was not perfectly flat.  Owner had to really apply lots of torque to get leak proof.  Which he broke seal sometimes.  Shop was trying to figure out best way to get perfectly flat with file or something.  

Edited by 015point9

Which filter housing do you have?  I just installed the 2000 housing retrofit from Genos in my truck & every once in a while I get a whiff of fuel, but I cant seem to figure out where its coming from............  the plastic cap in the metal housing seems like a potential place for a leak, but everything looks good.........

Bob

1 hour ago, 015point9 said:

Not much experience  here but couple easy things to check out.

2 things..

1 You have canister cover with socket drive in middle?...so when tighting, the seal gets equal torque over 360 degrees and not distorded over the years. 

2. Not on mine but saw a fass pump that where filter seals against the metal was not perfectly flat.  Owner had to really apply lots of torque to get leak proof.  Which he broke seal sometimes.  Shop was trying to figure out best way to get perfectly flat with file or something.  

Its not leaking from the housing itself, the large o ring is fine.  Its leaking from around the fuel heater.  The 5/8"IDx3/4"OD x 1/8 round stock o ring goes bad and it begins to seep fuel out and around it.  It will get slightly worse as it goes on until fixed or replaced.

38 minutes ago, Bobalos said:

Which filter housing do you have?  I just installed the 2000 housing retrofit from Genos in my truck & every once in a while I get a whiff of fuel, but I cant seem to figure out where its coming from............  the plastic cap in the metal housing seems like a potential place for a leak, but everything looks good.........

Bob

I have the factory 99 housing on mine, apparently the crappy one.  I know exactly where mine is coming from. You can wipe the fuel heater off and watch it get diesel soaked again.  

38 minutes ago, Bobalos said:

52 minutes ago, Bobalos said:

Bob

Also. is this the kit you have?

https://www.genosgarage.com/product/dodge-ram-cummins-replacement-fuel-filter-cannister-gg-fc98599/360

Thanks everyone for your thoughts so far.

Yes, that is the one that I bought.  I also had to get the long/tapped banjo bolt so that I could put the fitting for the fuel pressure transducer into it.  

and FWIW, I did not have any issues with mine.  I cracked the top when I was putting a fitting in to do some troubleshooting.  the only thing I didn't like was that you had to take the whole bowl out when you were replacing the filter, the drop in one seems like a better idea, however I dont did the plastic top, I dont like the feel of how it tightens up.  I cant tell if its tight or not.  

Bob