• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

4x4 light

im assuming these truck have a 4x4 light since the CAD on the front has a switch to activate the light. But I've looked all over the dash and never see a light on whenever it's in 4x4, It works fine also. I also know the switch works cause I needed to test something in my 95 1500 the other day. 

Can anyone take picture of there dash with the 4x4 light or tell me where is should be, I'm thinking the light is burnt out but no clue where it is.

thanks!

Edited by Towrigdually

• Staff

The 4WD switch grounds pin #2 of the antilock brake controller.   The 4WD indicator light is turned on at the same time by grounding the LED blub through pin # 10 in C2 at the instrument cluster.

This means that there is power supplied to the various indicator lights in the instrument cluster and they are turned on by grounding them.   If you ground pin # 10 and gray wire behind the instrument cluster the LED 4WD light should turn on.

If the light turns on when grounded then you have an open circuit to ground IE: bad switch, poor contact in a connector or broken wire.

If the light does not turn on then either a bad LED blub or no power to the blub.

5a3b1a931e6ec_Scan_20171220(2).jpg.83a0888ff10c7d30c813a0996d64fc71.jpg

Edited by IBMobile

8 hours ago, Hawkez said:

It isn't a traditional bulb.  It is a LED that is soldered to the board.  You will have to unsolder the inop LED and install a new one. 

26 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

The 4WD switch grounds pin #2 of the antilock brake controller.   The 4WD indicator light is turned on at the same time by grounding the LED blub through pin # 10 in C2 at the instrument cluster.

This means that there is power supplied to the various indicator lights in the instrument cluster and they are turned on by grounding them.   If you ground pin # 10 and gray wire behind the instrument cluster the LED 4WD light should turn on.

If the light turns on when grounded then you have an open circuit to ground IE: bad switch, poor contact in a connector or broken wire.

If the light does not turn on then either a bad LED blub or no power to the blub.

5a3b1a931e6ec_Scan_20171220(2).jpg.83a0888ff10c7d30c813a0996d64fc71.jpg

Shoot glad I know this information now! Thanks for heads up guys before I start tearing into things, I'll definitely ground it out before I assume a bad light now.