• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Torque and Angle for 99 Ranger 2.5 Head Bolts

Leaky88

Hi,

Installing  a new cylinder head.  

This is my first experience with Torque (and) Angle.

Manual says: Step 1: Torque to 50LBS

Step 2: Turn additional 90 -100 degrees

I have a TA360 angle gauge for Step 2.

Question: After taking each bolt to 50FtLb's per tightening sequence diagram, do I go back and recheck each bolt to insure its at 50FtLb - BEFORE - proceeding with STEP 2?  

Thanks.

Leaky

• 1 year later...
On 2/4/2018 at 10:10 PM, Leaky88 said:

Hi,

Installing  a new cylinder head.  

This is my first experience with Torque (and) Angle.

Manual says: Step 1: Torque to 50LBS

Step 2: Turn additional 90 -100 degrees

I have a TA360 angle gauge for Step 2.

Question: After taking each bolt to 50FtLb's per tightening sequence diagram, do I go back and recheck each bolt to insure its at 50FtLb - BEFORE - proceeding with STEP 2?  

Thanks.

Leaky

In theory you should go back and check for the 50lbft BUT  if the fastener torque was dry and not lubed and by that I don't just mean the threads I also mean under the head/washer then you won't really see any movement as dry it would take more torque to start the fastener moving again than the compression of the gasket from the first to the last if that makes sense, also a lot of torque wrenches aren't that good at a pound or 2, another thing to remember is the length of the  cylinder head and the circle of the bore and fastener spacing, the longer the head   the bigger the difference between 1st  bolt and last,  how far to the next fastener is down to bore size and fastener spacing better way is to do the 50ftlbs in several increments, say 20/15/15, that way it's a much lower number to be out and you'd only ever be a small % of 15 out, large cummins and cat advise this and to wait a little inbetween as heads can be 5ft plus easy