• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

MNRAM

I have a SGII and get very good mpg. But I have never used the gauge's display of instant mpg. You KNOW what it takes to get good mpg, and you train yourself in those driving habits, situation by situation. Just use the minimum throttle and rpms to get you where you are going. Looking at a gauge will not do it.

• 2 weeks later...

i believe that i would like one also:drool:.while we are on this subject..MOPAR...overhead lier..vs..hand calculation..vs..SGII....what are you seeing for the most accrurate.....o.k...throw out the overhead lier...:lmao:how about comparing there other two?i mean..it has...or a person would that it would be a close figure...since it is plugged in...but filling up and documenting and hand calculation....the reason i asked is because i have seen them in many peoples sig.

• Owner

i believe that i would like one also:drool:.while we are on this subject..MOPAR...overhead lier..vs..hand calculation..vs..SGII....what are you seeing for the most accrurate.....o.k...throw out the overhead lier...:lmao:how about comparing there other two?i mean..it has...or a person would that it would be a close figure...since it is plugged in...but filling up and documenting and hand calculation....the reason i asked is because i have seen them in many peoples sig.

Simple... My SG II and Garmin V are closer to right than hand calculation typically... For the reason my stock speedometer and odometer are off by exact 0.5 MPH so the stock odometer is typically about 20-25 miles faster compared to the Garmin or the ScanGauge II so the MPG numbers are about 0.2 to 0.5 lower on the SG II which is just about dead on if I use the mileage numbers from the SG II / Garmin to hand calculate. But if I use the stock speedometer the numbers are higher and alway have me re-calibration everything till I relized that 0.5 MPH offset is enough to foul all the calculations and remember if you calculating the SGII use the SG II number for figuring NOT the stock odometer! Watch around the 1:09 mark you see my calc for offset appear... This gets worse over time of travel...

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq0XG5qRLsM

• 11 months later...

Mike,Your results are almost exactly what I am getting. Just did a trip from Phoenix to the Gilroy CA area, then back down to through the LA area and home again. Just shy of 1500 miles in two days and an average just shy of 23 mpg. Course what kicked my rear were the 45 mph head-winds for the three hours coming South again otherwise would have had closer to 24 mpg.Started out with the ScanGauge 1 years ago and loved it, but now using the ScanGauge 2 and its even easier to work with. As well the "data cord" is a Cat 5 network cord so if needed you can patch in longer extensions to make it work.Joe A

• 1 month later...

I have a Scan Guage II, works well, with one exception. If I leave it plugged into the OBDII port, it will work fine for days, then, without notice, it will shut off. will not reconnect right away, but does come back. I sent it back to the manufacturer for testing, they returned it, with not so much as a note, no indication of what they did or did not do. The unit still works the same.reads and clears codes fine, but not much sense using it as a trip meter, or for mileage , as it will fail on me.I just threw it in the tool box, and will buy something else.good luck

• Staff

Mine has done that once or twice in the 4+ years I have had it, thou it has had to go back to linear logic twice for other issues. I am happy with it, but haven't used the trip/mpg function since I sold my Toyota as it's not accurate on my Dodge (but am about to order a 2nd cord to keep it in my DD, and will calibrate it for that).

For those of you with a SG and an 05+ try these codes (I hear they don't work on 03-04).

05 Cummins

Fuel Rail Pressure

TXD: 686AF10123

RXF: 044145230000

RXD: 2810

MTH: 001D00C80000

NAM: FRP

06+

Fuel Rail Pressure

TXD: 07DF0123

RXF: 044145230000

RXD: 2810

MTH: 001D00C80000

NAM: FRP

These are looking like they might be a good investment for fuel economy. My question is what all gauges work? it says that you can get all these extra gauges with the xgauge software but that some are vehicle specific and the website doesnt say what gauges to what vehicle. So if anyone has ran this on an 04 or similar im curious now.

• Owner

These are looking like they might be a good investment for fuel economy. My question is what all gauges work? it says that you can get all these extra gauges with the xgauge software but that some are vehicle specific and the website doesnt say what gauges to what vehicle. So if anyone has ran this on an 04 or similar im curious now.

The rule of thumb is typical the ScanGauge II can see all factory sensor on the truck. So like I know there is no fuel pressure sensor for the lift pump so there is no fuel pressure gauge for the low side. It just a matter of addressing the PCM or ECM and getting the information.

• Staff

The rule of thumb is typical the ScanGauge II can see all factory sensor on the truck.

That's a good general rule, but there are exceptions like rail pressure is known by the ECM on 03/04, but the SG doesn't seem to be able to read it.

• Staff

Also like the oil pressure is known by the ECM but SG II can't see it either... I know what you mean... :lol:

I wish it was known by the ECM on a 3rd gen... I bet if you work with SG you could get a PID for it. I beleive other OBDII gauges show it.