• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fuel gauge fluctuations

5 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I've got to. Being the next diesel fuel station might be a very long ways away. Living on the east side of the island population density it much higher. Out here towns don't have to have a fuel station and some may or may not have fuel that day. It does happen. So being able to understand you remaining range you have left in gallons and miles is very helpful to know what your next step is being fuel might be another 100 miles to reach. 

While I dont have to I can still look at my gauge and tell how far I can go with in 20 miles. With the gauge showing 50% i have a good 200 miles to a fill up with some buffer. 1/4 tank about 100 miles. I do have places I would rather buy my fuel and plan accordingly based on the gauge. I just dont need the exact gallons to get from a to b. If I think I am short I will buy some before I leave.

• Owner

LOL. I got one.

I pulled a guy out of the backcountry because he thought he had enough fuel (3/8 of a tank) and forgot about the steep grade. As he ran up a steep grade in the backcountry the fuel ran to the back of the fuel tank engine died. Rolled back down the hill and could start again but couldn't make it over the grade without running out of fuel on the climb. I end up pulling him over the grade so he could get back to town 15 miles away. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

LOL. I got one.

I pulled a guy out of the backcountry because he thought he had enough fuel (3/8 of a tank) and forgot about the steep grade. As he ran up a steep grade in the backcountry the fuel ran to the back of the fuel tank engine died. Rolled back down the hill and could start again but couldn't make it over the grade without running out of fuel on the climb. I end up pulling him over the grade so he could get back to town 15 miles away. 

I like that one. Most of my driving is on the interstate or main secondary roads. I have pulled some grades on that last 1/8 tank that made me wonder if that would happen. So far so good. I have run mine out on three occasions. 2 on flat land stretching a little to far and the other parked in my sons driveway for a couple days. About an 8% slope with minimal fuel, got to the top and ran dry. Coasted onto the road which was another hill. Sucked the whole system dry other that the little that was in tank. Had to go get 5 gallons just to start again. :duh::duh::duh: That is a triple dumb *** on me.

Edited by dripley
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Larger the tire size, the lower the final ratio, and more engine load and lower fuel mileage. This is why I've been studying the 245's now. Dropping from 31" tires to 30" tires. I'm still debating in my mind of a 215/85 R16 (8.5") or 245/75 R16 (9.6") both are 30" tall. Where the 235/85 R16 (9.3") and 265/75 R16 (10.4") are 31" tall. 

All comes down to rotational mass and final gear ratio. Bigger tires do look cool but looking cool comes with a price tag.

I've got to. Being the next diesel fuel station might be a very long ways away. Living on the east side of the island population density it much higher. Out here towns don't have to have a fuel station and some may or may not have fuel that day. It does happen. So being able to understand you remaining range you have left in gallons and miles is very helpful to know what your next step is being fuel might be another 100 miles to reach. 

Might be. I can tell you as the senders wear they typically hit empty higher on the gauge. So when mine failed I was hitting empty at 3/8 of a tank. 

I wonder if this is why they made the gearing change to 3.73 on third gens. If you ran 30in tires you would be very close to this and my dads 03 gets 22 on the highway. I assume the motor may flow a little better but the output hp and tq numbers are the same between an 01 and 03. I wonder what mpg will be with the 30s