• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What next?? Need suggestions

Need some suggestions on what to do next to my truck. It’s just a fun daily driver nothing too crazy. Everything done to it is in my signature. The next things im doing are arp headstuds, new rims and tires ( 20” fuel cleavers with 305/50r20 nitto 420’s), electric fans and ac compressor delete. What else should I do ie springs, pushrods, water meth kit? I know nothing about what size springs would work for my set up so lay it on me! Thanks 

• Owner

Compressor delete and electric fans? That is not going to shave any weight off. All you need to do is buy a different belt. Electric fans is going to produce overheating issues being there is no electric fan capable of keeping up with daily driver heat. 

The tires are not going to help at all your adding more weight in tires and wheels especially with Nitto's. They are heavy tire. Then on top of that you going to push the final ratio way up near 3.00 to 1 which wil be too tall and you end up spending $4,000 get 4.10 gear put in the axles. If you plan on bigger tires you need high gear ratio.

Funny part...

I currently can whip a 4th Gen Ram jacked up on 35-inch tires now because when you factor most of them bought the 3.42 ratio and then put bigger tires on top of that again drove the final ratio in the 3.00 realm and I can out power then so easy on the streets. With 245's I've got a final ratio near 3.73 (3.69 actually) to the ground so I've got way more power to the ground and easy to whip these jacked up 4th gen owners. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

The tire size difference is only less than an inch. I’m currently running 235/85r16 ~31 inch tire and I will be getting 305/50r20 ~32 inch tire. I’m deleting the ac stuff not to shave weight but just for the fact that it doesn’t work. The difference between the AC on max and the normal cold setting is very minimal. From what I’ve read their are a lot of people who have deleted their stock fan and are running electric fans with no issues 

@Mopar1973Man I’ve read your forum on your tire size change. The tires im currently looking at are 305/50r20 which is roughly a 32” tire but I can get a 265/50r20 which is a 30.5” tire. Which would bring my ratio up a little 

• Owner
42 minutes ago, Youngblood24v said:

I’m deleting the ac stuff not to shave weight but just for the fact that it doesn’t work.

Geez... that's easy to fix. I just got done working on a 3rd Gen A/C just minutes ago. I can fix that A/C easy. Even if I got to do a HVAC case I could pull it out and rebuild the entire system in one day. 

43 minutes ago, Youngblood24v said:

I will be getting 305/50r20 ~32 inch tire.

My bad I saw the 305 but didn't pay attention to the 50 series. Still that is a lot of face on the ground still going to be heavier with more steel belt in the face. Ratio will be closer 3.52 from what I  can math out. Not bad but awfully wide still a rational mass issue. the 265/50 R20 will get you close to the 3.73 range. 

I’ll have to do some more research on the load rating on the 265/50r20 tires to see if my truck will be fine running them. With the ac I’m also a windows down kind of guy, it rarely gets used even if it did work. As long as I get heat during the winter I’m a happy camper 

• Owner

Just be aware if you happen to attempt sell the truck later on delete A/C will reduce the price considerable. 

Yeah I know of another guy just like you he took a perfectly good 1992 Dodge Cummins 1st Gen and hacked the A/C out and yanked out the cruise control. He didn't believe in either A/C or the cruise control. Needless to say, he was on hard times and needed to sell the truck and it really devalued the truck badly because all the compressor and lines where gone and cruise control gone. So just because of non-beliefs of A/C and cruise control he lost a lot on that truck. 236 HP dyno'ed 1st Gen. 

On my 01 it has a sticker under the hood for routing a belt without ac.  I picked up one many years ago in case ac compressor ever freezes up or regular belt broke.  Reason why is saw a guy that his compressor froze up and the regular belt smoked until it broke and stunk big time because belt still on ac pulley.  So now I'm covered if regular belt breaks or if ac craps out. See routing below in pic  with and without ac.

20180722_200725.jpg

Also read somewhere Chrysler had the best ac at one time.  Was all new redesign (or the K car)  ?

Edited by 015point9
Took 4 times to make sense
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1