• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New from Tennessee

hrenfroe

I just discovered that this truck has had a conversion to where the lift pump has been relocated to the fuel tank and not on the block.  But the fuel lines are still attached to the block mounted pump but no wiring is attached to it.  Could this be why my fuel pressure is low?  Is there a way to bypass the block mounted pump with the fuel lines?  There are banjo bolts on both sides of the pump.

If it is pumping thru a bad block mounted pump, that could hurt the pressure. But the intank pump itself is nothing to write home about. I had the in tank pump but Dodge removed the block mounted pump. I do believe the fuel lines ram thru the area of the block mounted pump but it was removed. Are sure the pump is still ther? The bracket has to remain but my pump was gone. The bracker covers the hole where the old 12v mechanical pumps went.

Edited by dripley

• Owner
2 hours ago, hrenfroe said:

I just discovered that this truck has had a conversion to where the lift pump has been relocated to the fuel tank and not on the block

At any rate, all that stock plumbing has to come out. It's just too small of pipe for what the engine requires. All the banjo line are 6mm (0.23") This is smaller than 1/4" fuel lines. Our engine does the best with full 1/2" lines and keeps the pressure stable over a wider range of fuel demands. 

Image result for mopar1973man fuel lines

46 minutes ago, Royal Squire said:

When my in-tank pump was installed the fuel line ran through a block that replaced factory pump so the fuel lines didn’t need to be modified. 

I am remembering now. @hrenfroe is that possibly what you are seeing?

45 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

This is correct. But still in all the line size is too small.

Agreed.

• Like 1

OK, so what all this means is installing a draw straw in the tank, getting a relocation kit with 1/2" lines and  installing a FASS (100  gpm?) pump?  I also assume I'll have to figure out which wires to remove from the tank mounted pump and adapt them to the FASS pump.  Am I close?

• Owner

For the most part yes. Both AirDog and FASS both come as a complete kit. This means supplied draw straw, electrical, pump, and all plumbing. You end up removing everything from the fuel tank to the engine and replacing. The only thing I will suggest with either kit is to get the Vulcan Big Line Kit so you keep the stock fuel filter can. 

• Like 2