• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

tq converter lock / unlock idea

I have an idea to build a little set up for locking and unlocking the converter on my truck and would like to know if anyone knows if switching (opening)the signal wire that locks the converter so it cant lock will throw codes and put the truck in limp mode.. Tired of the converter locking at low speed and not unlocking until i apply half throttle or more.Its a pain after the injector / turbo upgrade (lots of smoke). I installed the tunnel ram at the same time as the turbo it is supposed to help out with smoke... if it does Id hate to see the cloud it would leave if it wasnt there lol.Could be that the tv cable needs to be adjusted but not familiar with the process.

I have an idea to build a little set up for locking and unlocking the converter on my truck and would like to know if anyone knows if switching (opening)the signal wire that locks the converter so it cant lock will throw codes and put the truck in limp mode.. Tired of the converter locking at low speed and not unlocking until i apply half throttle or more.Its a pain after the injector / turbo upgrade (lots of smoke). I installed the tunnel ram at the same time as the turbo it is supposed to help out with smoke... if it does Id hate to see the cloud it would leave if it wasnt there lol.Could be that the tv cable needs to be adjusted but not familiar with the process.

Switching (opening)the signal wire that locks the converter so it can't lock will NOT throw codes and put the truck in limp mode. I know because I put in a switch to do just that and it works fine. I have a CoPilot transmission controller that controls at what speed the TC locks. I normally have it set to around 43 mph for lock and it unlocks at about 37 mph. That equates to about 1100rpm before unlock. If I give it more throttle at 1100 rpm in lockup in OD it lugs the engine so I can switch the TC lockup off while staying in OD and the engine will rev and accelerate the truck. I put it in so that when towing heavy loads in hills I can switch it out of lockup on going up hills to prevent the engine from lugging down to a lower power output level to maintain speed. It won't cause any codes to be thrown or put the truck in limp mode. Jim
  • Like 3

awesome glad to hear this..i figured that since this truck is a 01.5 model that it would not be as free mod friendly as the previos years.....

---------- Post added at 10:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 AM ----------

for what its worth i am going to build a run-latch loop through 2 relays with a momentary push button for the mystery switch and break (un-latch disengage lock up) with a signal from the brake switch. so if the wife or step dad drives the truck and gets curious (Huh i wonder what that switch does)it will unlock as soon as the brakes are applied. and add a toggle to disable lockup while towing in town at low speeds to aid in less smoke from lugging.

---------- Post added at 10:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 AM ----------

Also what is the proper way to set tv cable? Is it like the older kickdown cables that you move the throttle to wide open and adjust the cable so it is fully extended at this point?

Switching (opening)the signal wire that locks the converter so it can't lock will NOT throw codes and put the truck in limp mode. I know because I put in a switch to do just that and it works fine. I have a CoPilot transmission controller that controls at what speed the TC locks. I normally have it set to around 43 mph for lock and it unlocks at about 37 mph. That equates to about 1100rpm before unlock. If I give it more throttle at 1100 rpm in lockup in OD it lugs the engine so I can switch the TC lockup off while staying in OD and the engine will rev and accelerate the truck. I put it in so that when towing heavy loads in hills I can switch it out of lockup on going up hills to prevent the engine from lugging down to a lower power output level to maintain speed. It won't cause any codes to be thrown or put the truck in limp mode. Jim

good info:thumbup2: