• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

VP44 question

Strapped for cash so I pulled a VP44 off a spare engine. It is a Magnum 24-4015. But when I spin the shaft it sounds like a ball bearing clicking. Kind of like a valve opening and closing when it hits each injector line port. It's been rebuilt at sometime because the pump is much cleaner than the engine is. Not sure if that is normal or if it shouldn't make any noises when spun over. Also would it be worth while to send it out to be bench tested.

Yeah that's normal.  It's not just an open orifice with a turn table in there to direct fuel.  There's actually a check ball and a pressure relief slide to pressurize each injection line, among other little pieces.

Edited by trreed

I've got a similar question. I've got a spare engine from a wrecked truck, and need to replace the vp44 on my truck. Is there anything wrong with using the pump from the wrecked truck? It's been sitting for about 3 years, but ran well before that.

Pump was full of fuel when I pulled it off. I swapped in onto the truck with the dead VP and it's been running well for a few days now. The difference in amount of noise between an HO versus an SO VP is noticeable. Either that or the fact that the HO pump was dying increased its noise level.