• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

blew a belt, now oil leak.

Killer223

• Staff

Did yours go without warning?

I've had about 3-4 idler pulley bearing failures. 3 were on my 92 12 valve I drove for 22 years and one so far on my 02. Every one of those failures gave me warning. They all had a scraping or a squeal sound and always changed them before the belt came off or bearing fell apart. I think its a good idea to check that bearing at least every year now that you've shared what happened.

5 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Did yours go without warning?

I've had about 3-4 idler pulley bearing failures. 3 were on my 92 12 valve I drove for 22 years and one so far on my 02. Every one of those failures gave me warning. They all had a scraping or a squeal sound and always changed them before the belt came off or bearing fell apart. I think its a good idea to check that bearing at least every year now that you've shared what happened.

The 3rd gen has an idler pully in addition to the belt tensioner. 1st and 2nd gen don't have it. My local store has them in stock. I would think your store could have them overnight.

Napa seal:https://www.napaonline.com/en/search?text=front%2Bseal&q=N%3D5002000%2B5002200%2B200220780%2B10200500%2B599999900%2B402203200%2B2500010%26Nty%3D1%26Ntk%3DKeyword%26Ntt%3Dfront%2Bseal&isApplication=true&indices=API

Napa idler pully:https://www.napaonline.com/en/search?text=idler pulley&q=N%3D5002000%2B5002200%2B200220780%2B10200500%2B599999900%2B402203200%2B1000013200%26Nty%3D1%26Ntk%3DKeyword%26Ntt%3Didler%2Bpully&isApplication=true&indices=API

the idler went out on my way back from VA, on the west side of Oklahoma city. it made no noise, no squeal, nothing. the lucky call to napa was that one they had one, and two would deliver it to the side of the road for me. limped the truck all the way back to flag, reoiling I40 as i went.

really hate design engineers that pull this ****. like i hate them with a passion. along with whoever approved this design. need to be fired.

any idea how to pull the power steering pump off? i hate doing extra unneeded work... OMFG.

IMG_0119.jpg

• Owner
11 hours ago, Killer223 said:

any idea how to pull the power steering pump off? i hate doing extra unneeded work... OMFG.

If I remember right the power steering bracket is rather strange and required you to reach through the pulley to remove the bolts and then was the pump was detached you can get that bolt out. 

yeah remind me to never do that again. sometimes i hate turning wrenches. just because i can and have the intellect to do, doesn't mean i have the desire.

Most things i really like wrenching on, but this sucked.

sad part is, i have to do the 95 12V next,