• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

parking brake

ok i remember seeing something either on here or cummins diesel registry awhile back about the parking brake being of a weak design and there was a modification for improving the brake ....my question is has anyone else heard of ..seen or done this modification and if so could you please post it here so i might b able to fix my parking brake....PLEASE:pray::pray::pray:

if i remember right it was something about flipping the spring behind the pedal :shrug::shrug:

---------- Post added at 06:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:03 PM ----------

apperently i miss labeled my topic/thread.....checking on the emergency brake not parking brake:banghead:

not trying to steal your thread ,because this also deals with the emergency brake...when I release mine the pedal wont return out all the way and the emergency brake light in the cluster flashes until I pull the lever and pull the pedal out the rest of the way. looked for an adjustment up around the pedal but so much up there it's hard to see

Most just cut out the old cable actuated brake parts and install A Mico lock hydraulic lock park brake valve. I have installed them in the past and they are super great.

wouldn't the relay sit "energized" while the vehicle is parked? Just curious. Seems like over a day or so, the drain would be significant, on the battery.

• Owner

not trying to steal your thread ,because this also deals with the emergency brake...when I release mine the pedal wont return out all the way and the emergency brake light in the cluster flashes until I pull the lever and pull the pedal out the rest of the way. looked for an adjustment up around the pedal but so much up there it's hard to see

You got the same problem I do and the adjustment is under the truck follow the cable down to the slack adjustment. Only use this to remove the lsack not to adjust the brake.

---------- Post added at 04:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 PM ----------

wild and free do you have any info on this micro lock

Something like this...

http://www.tsmmfg.com/mico_hydraulic_brake_lock.htm

There not cheap we got them on the fire trucks out here... The problem I don't like about them is if you forget to press the brake and toggle the switch then it doesn't set and the truck rolls off... (Yes I've had a close call with one... :stuned:)

You got the same problem I do and the adjustment is under the truck follow the cable down to the slack adjustment. Only use this to remove the lsack not to adjust the brake.

---------- Post added at 04:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 PM ----------

I have tried a number of times to adjust my emergency brake on the star wheels with no luck. I can get them just to the point of holding the truck but not quite good enough, and if I go that little bit extra it keeps the wheel locked up after the brake is released. I've had the rotors off and cleaned everything up , taken the star wheel things apart and lubed them and still locks. So in the end ,I end up adjusting on the cable...don't like to be seems to be the only way I can get it good enough to hold the truck and still release when I want it to.

• Owner

Ok...

The slack adjustment on the cable should be just enough tension to pull the pedal all the way back to the released position... Then the starwheel adjustment...

http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/2ndgen24v/e-brake/e-brake.htm

I set the starwheels till it just drags.

It might also be the drum shoes are maybe just too wore out? :shrug:

IDK, it's been that way since I got it. I set it until it just starts to drag too and i'll put the E brake on, and it not quite good enough to hold the truck, so I go that little bit extra that it will , then the one wheel wont release when I take the brake off. All new disc's on it, calipers, E brake shoes and brake pads. Only thing I haven't changed out was the actual E brake cables and I hate to because I think i'd just be :spend:. So i've learned to live with it i guess :neutral:

dobie, my RR brake would do this.. It was my cable dragging inside the sheath. I think it was like 20$ or so, IIRC, for that cable. About the same for the LR one, as well, but I only replaced the one.

Thanks for the info. IIRC ? Is that a website or company?