• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Vacuum pump rebuild

Hi guys 

Thanks for all the responses on my last post. It’s nice to find a page that has knowledge as well as courtesy.  So I pulled my VP44 and found a broken rear bracket. Looks like I need to remove and replace/weld. My question is can I remove the vacuum pump with the injection pump removed or will the pump gear fall down. Looks like both run off the crank from what I can see. Also looks like a good time to rebuild that oily mess. Thanks and Merry Christmas 

Bill

5 hours ago, Rotax3006 said:

Looks like I need to remove and replace/weld

If you weld that bracket, it is crucial that it is in exactly the correct position or undue stress can be placed on the VP44 when it is tightened down. 

32 minutes ago, trreed said:

Both the VP and the vacuum pump run off of the van gear,

My truck is a pickup, not a van.  I think Treed meant to write "cam" gear.

- John

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CUMMINSDIESELPWR said:

ive been running my vp with no bracket for a few years, i accidentally bent it when i first replaced the vp and tossed it. guess i need to put another on to keep it secure?

I was considering running mine that way as well.  It has definitely been broken for a long time.  My vp went out at 252000 so I don't know how important it really is.  It really looks like an after thought from Cummins its now a particularly well refined bracket.