• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2wd low setup

9 hours ago, vineyardmh said:

OR - recognize that the front wheel hubs sometimes have problems - and if you put in a "Free Spin" kit....you just leave the hubs unlocked when you want 2L.

I did the free spin installation many years ago - and the hubs have bigger bearings, and can be removed and re-lubricated - vs. replacing the entire assembly.  And - as a bonus - the u-joints in the front drive and the front differential are not being turned all the time...so less wear and tear on the parts. 

Except the free spin hub conversion will run someone approximately $2000...  You could replace a lot of axle u-joints for that kinda cash.

• Owner
23 minutes ago, KATOOM said:

Except the free spin hub conversion will run someone approximately $2000...  You could replace a lot of axle u-joints for that kinda cash.

On top of that ZERO gains to MPG. Free spin hub doesn't do much for reducing drag. The only bonus they will provide is standard cone and race bearing from years past instead of unit bearings of today. The only time I suggest the this is for guys with huge tire and lift kits because the bearings will hold up better in the long haul.

2 hours ago, KATOOM said:

Cost me $1300 about 5 years ago.  I was looking at spending 40% of that to re-do the hubs...and I figured that if I did the free spin conversion, I wouldn't have to worry about the issues for a VERY VERY long time.  

Agreed that it doesn't really do much for MPG improvement....but making a tight turning radius is a bit easier....but I didn't do it for that either.  I figured that if I spent more the first time - I could save in the long run.

• Like 3