• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I want to install a Goose neck plug in the back of my '71 F250.  I want to do it through a separate relay/fuse box.  I have been searching for almost a year for a write up on it or a kit or...….

So I thought I would ask here.  How do I go about this.  I want to have the electrical load separate from the main wiring to protect the main pickup harness.  I have a 20' chunk of trailer harness and the plugs, a relay/fuse box out of the '94 dodge donor, and a brake controller.  

I also want to put the headlights on relays and have a relay for additional lights.

Any guidance will be helpful.

I don't, but I'm sure I could find it on the interwebs.  

It is a Tekonsha I picked up at Jalopy Jungle.  I only grabbed it because it is the same one as is in my Bride's Dually and I like how it worked.  I have no idea if it is any good, but figured it was worth the $10.

I'm sure its a  7 Pin plug.

Edited by Bacon Creek Metal

Wow, thank you.  I appreciate that.

its really the fuse/relay box that has me stumped.  I'm just not sure how to tie that in and make it work correctly.

I really need a relay for the headlights, the switch just doesn't handle the load.  I replaced it a year ago.  When I drive it at night I have to keep the vent open to push some cool air under the dash or the switch gets hot.  sketchy.....

• Owner

In the PDC there should be a 40 Amp fuse separating the truck from the trailer. 

Fuse #8 - 40 Amp

As you will see the power lead for the brakes come from there, and power for the brake controller.

Power Distribution wiring map 1999 Dodge Ram

Same 40 Amp fuse supplies the the tail light of the trailer past the trailer relay. Your trailer brake there is a blue plug under the dash this is the trailer brake plug. You can still get the pigtail from Dodge Dealer for this so it easy peezee to hook up the trailer brake.

Exterior Lighting (Page 2) wiring map 1999 Dodge Ram

• Like 1

Thank you for the diagrams Mike.

Seeing how the fuse stuff hooks up helps a bunch.

My ol' Ford doesn't have the blue trailer brake plug unfortunately.  I wonder if I still have it from the Donor pickup.  I'll have to look at what is left of the harness.  I tried to keep the harness true to Ford when I did the swap.  I did swap all the alternator stuff over the driver's side to match with the Dodge/Cummins section of the harness because I liked how it flowed. I think wiring the engine swap took the longest for me.  I want to know how things work, so it takes me longer to get them done.

I think I was probably making this too difficult.  I was thinking that putting every function on a relay would be helpful, but maybe just fused is how it has to be?

Everytime I've looked for a 2nd Gen Dodge wiring diagram it proves to be very frustrating.  The ones that pop up in a google search are usually not the correct ones for what I searched.  Even getting them from the Dodge garage in town is a pain.  The 1996 book is missing out of their library.  They don't like sharing the info either.

I'm thinking that from now on I will just ask on here.  Mike tends to respond fairly quickly.  lol.

• Staff
On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 8:44 AM, Bacon Creek Metal said:

Now I need to find  a source for the female ends that crimp onto the wires and snap into the box for the fuses and relays to plug into. 

I got mine by going to a pic a part yard and taking the female ends out of a RAM 1500 PDC being sure to leave as much wire attached to it as I could,1-2 feet.   Some of the connectors were not easy to get out so I just cut the plastic in the PDC to release them.

• Staff
On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 10:29 AM, Bacon Creek Metal said:

I also want to put the headlights on relays and have a relay for additional lights.

What type of head light do you have?  A 6014,   H6024 / 6014 Halogen, or L6024 LED.  This is needed to determine fuse and wire size.

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 7:05 PM, Bacon Creek Metal said:

Mostly it will tow my 30' Big Tex Goose neck.

How many axles  on that trailer?  Need this for controller circuit breaker and wire size to trailer.

I've mapped out the "lamp wiring diagram" for the F250 for which wires to splice  to, relay power and switching.  I need to know how you want it incorporated into the truck. 

Are you going to use the salvaged PDC for this or put something else together? Are you using a Dodge PDC in the Ford now to support the Cummins and if so can part of that be used for the relays and circuit breaker.

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 8:28 AM, Bacon Creek Metal said:

Does anybody know, are these the correct units to fit in the box?

These are the size connectors that I salvaged from a PDC.

IMG_5890.JPG.35ccb34b1b9824fee93a641554adde13.JPG

• Like 1

The Trailer has 2 axles.

I don't recall what numbers the headlights are,  I swapped in Jeep JK headlights.  I would like to be able to run higher powered bulbs.

I am not running the PDC to power the Cummins.  

I would like it integrated into the Ford harness and run the trailer circuits separately from the pickup circuits.  I'm thinking have the PDC T'd into the factory wiring headed the back of the pickup and running a separate line from the PDC to the trailer plugs?  I'm really not sure.

Thank you for all the time you have put into this.

I couldn't get logged in for a couple days and last week I was in Johnson Valley @ King of the Hammers.