• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

prior to mey ecm going out i had noticed the my tranny had started slipping out of fisrt and reverse. I had also notice it was getting hard to put in reverse, much more than normal. it does not jump out under load, just slips out when i let off of the throttle. both gears stay in as long as i am under load. Is this an omen of things to come?

• Staff

prior to mey ecm going out i had noticed the my tranny had started slipping out of fisrt and reverse. I had also notice it was getting hard to put in reverse, much more than normal. it does not jump out under load, just slips out when i let off of the throttle. both gears stay in as long as i am under load. Is this an omen of things to come?

When was the last time you changed the fluid?

I agree the above advice. I use Penzoil Syncromesh in the 5 gallon pale since I maintain 2 trucks but I change the fluid out about every 30,000 miles. It is VERY cheap insurance and allows you the opportunity to keep an eye on any problems that may be developing when you inspect the oil for metal particles, shavings, color, smell, etc. I bought mine from the Yahoo Oil Store: http://oilstore.stores.yahoo.net/pensyn5gal.html This is the pump I use to pump the trans. oil directly from the 5 gallon pale into the transmission. http://www.harborfreight.com/5-gallon-pail-pump-95068.html?utm_term=95068&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=googlebase They are cheap, work VERY well, have a long reach, and can be left on the pale ready for future use. I STRONGLY recommend overfilling the transmission case by at least 2 pints to ensure the #5 aft shaft bearing gets good lubrication. This bearing is a known weak point in these transmissions. Some overfill by removing a bolt from the shifter tower, others a bolt from the pto cover, I park the truck on an extremely steep slope and pump in the oil until it runs over and and then a could of quick pumps followed quickly with installing the fill plug. There are a number of transmission oils out there that are compatible, but make absolutely sure they are and specifically spell out that they meet Diamler/Chrysler MS9224 specifications. Anything else may damage your transmission.

• Like 1

thanks guys. i will give it a shot. liveoak the 5th aft shaft you are speaking of is in the nv4500. does the overfill pretain to the nv5600 as that is what i have. I have seen talk about this both ways. to over fill or not to overfill.

thanks guys. i will give it a shot. liveoak the 5th aft shaft you are speaking of is in the nv4500. does the overfill pretain to the nv5600 as that is what i have. I have seen talk about this both ways. to over fill or not to overfill.

I have as well. My understand based on a phone conversation I had with a New Venture tech engineer before they went offline was that over filling the transmission in this manner on the NV5600 did help better lubricate the transmission. I don't have anything in writing, sorry. I have been running my transmission like this for about 8 years.