• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Engine Seems Louder (maybe knocking) in Low RPM Range

So, for the last few weeks my truck seems to be louder than normal.  Almost sounds like a knocking but only hear it in lower RPM limits (less 1200 rpm).  I don't know if its just me or not.  I don't have any CEL on or any codes that I can see with my Bluetooth OBD2 scanner.  I don't see any smoke and the truck runs good.  I did start getting diesel at a different station (Chevron instead of Fred Meyer).  Could it be a difference in diesel?  Could it be colder weather?  It does it with the Quad at 0, 2, 3 or up.  It does it with the daily tune and the performance tune.  I can really notice it at cruise with light throttle.  Any suggestions.  This is my first winter with the truck so as far as I know this could be normal. :shrug:

2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

High cetane fuel could produce more knock than usual. 

Each brand name carries its own additive package before being delivered to the fuel station. I typically stick to larger brand names Chevron, Shell, Maverik, etc.

Ok.  I will swap back to where I was originally getting fuel and see if it changes.

I wasn't sure if it was maybe a timing issue or something.

I did notice that my engine load toggles between 4 - 5 at idle according to my Quad and it seems to be idling high, usually around 920-ish so I think injectors are in my near future too.  165k on these ones.  The guy I got the truck from rebuilt the motor at 155k but used the same injectors :doh:

Here are the 2 tunes I've been using.

iQuad-Mopar1973man Performance-2019-03-15-08.27.04147447478196055003.json iQuad-daily-2019-03-15-08.26.444726115227942262255.json

Looking at these tunes in the tune builder they do look a little low on timing.  The daily one isn't as bad as the performance one (if I'm looking at it correctly).