• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

'00 24v Cummins - What tuner to get?

Running these tuners is one of the biggest reasons to run a triple disc converter and a custom valve body. They fuel the engine much harder for a given amount of throttle movement than the stock tuning, which is what causes the engine to produce more power. The problem is that there is ZERO electronic control of transmission line pressure in a 47RE or 48RE. Line pressure rise is 100% dependent upon throttle (and subsequently TV cable) movement. These transmissions suffer from a severe lack of line pressure in stock form, and then when you take away 30%, 40%, maybe even 50% of its TV cable travel for a given amount of power output from the engine, things don't exactly improve. You simply need a LOT more line pressure, and a LOT more converter clutch (among other internal mods) to make things happy and reliable when adding power. "Shift kits" improve things a little bit by adding SOME additional pressure to the mix, but it takes more than just a stiffer PR spring to give you the pressure that you need at the point in the throttle travel at which you need it...and that doesn't even touch on the topic of shift and lockup calibrations...

When I had my Dodge (2000 QCSB 4x4), I was running a Smarty S-03 and BD 100hp injectors, and someone had put an HX35 turbo on it. It ran well, but desperately needed a larger turbo. I constantly had to back out of it to keep the turbo from going WAY off of its efficiency map. It would produce 38-40 psi of boost if I let it, that's a serious number with an HX35 on a 5.9L engine. I was constantly fighting EGT's with that thing. If I were to ever own another Dodge, I would run compounds and get the best of both worlds.

Edited by Dynamic
  • Like 2

• Owner
15 minutes ago, Dynamic said:

he problem is that there is ZERO electronic control of transmission line pressure in a 47RE or 48RE. Line pressure rise is 100% dependent upon throttle (and subsequently TV cable) movement. These transmissions suffer from a severe lack of line pressure in stock form, and then when you take away 30%, 40%, maybe even 50% of its TV cable travel for a given amount of power output from the engine, things don't exactly improve.

Bingo... Thanks for confirming what I was thinking!