• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Bad ECM/PCM?

So I left my truck sitting for about a week while I was on vacation. I try to start it up for the first time and it'll crank all day but won't fire. My gauges aren't working, my odo is flashing my mileage, and my lift pump isn't getting any power. What do I need to look into besides checking all the grounds and fuses? Does this sound like a bad ECM/PCM? Thanks for any help.

The truck is a 1998.5 

Yep that looks normal to me.  Your check engine light should come on for 3 to 8 seconds (depending on how cold ambient temp is) when you turn the key forward then go out.  If your CEL is not doing exactly that then something is not right with pcm/ecm.

The fact that you can't connect to read codes strongly suggests pcm/ecm problems. 

4 hours ago, Bullet said:

Yep that looks normal to me.  Your check engine light should come on for 3 to 8 seconds (depending on how cold ambient temp is) when you turn the key forward then go out.  If your CEL is not doing exactly that then something is not right with pcm/ecm.

The fact that you can't connect to read codes strongly suggests pcm/ecm problems.

You do mean the WTS light dont you?

• Thanks 1

I have power to the VP/Lift pump and a WTS so that leads me to believe it's not the ECM. All grounds have been checked/replaced. Are there any suggestions on sensors I maybe be missing that can cause this? I'm replacing the crankshaft position sensor today.

Still nothing. I will admit its never have an OBD reader connected before and the connection seems a bit sketchy (Power comes on and off if I move the OBD port too much) so unsure if it was even working prior to my current problems.

23 minutes ago, MrMerica said:

How much pressure should I be seeing out of my injector lines? As you can see in video there’s isn’t much pressure. Not really the crazy “spraying” everyone says to expect.

They spray when you just loosen them a half of a turn or so. You have good flow, the injection event does not need a ton a fuel. The injection event is around 4000 to 4500 psi.

Also the fuel you are seeing there gets pushed thru 7 tiny holes in a split second per event.

I had an injector line snap off at the head a couple years back. I ended up clamping some fuel hose on it and ran it to a 5 gallon fuel can in the bed. In the 15 miles back to the job I had near filled that can up with no more flow that you are seeing.

Edited by dripley