• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

rear output shaft seal (pissing me off)

Awhile back I noticed some atf on the bottom of my truck just above the front u joint of the rear driveshaft. Anyways last weekend I replaced the output shaft seal by removing the rear driveline, tried to pry the seal out to no avail so I removed the extention and smacked it out from the front end, no biggie. Installed new seal, then the driveline, filled up the transfer case and called it good. I cleaned up the previuosly leaked fluid from the underbody. Now there is fresh fluid there so I am sure it is still leaking. The sliding yoke did not feel like it had any abrasions where it rides on the seal ?? My t case says its a model 242 but the dude at the parts house said the one I need was for a 241?? I measured them with a caliper and it seemed to be the one. Why is it still leaking ??:banghead:

Awhile back I noticed some atf on the bottom of my truck just above the front u joint of the rear driveshaft. Anyways last weekend I replaced the output shaft seal by removing the rear driveline, tried to pry the seal out to no avail so I removed the extention and smacked it out from the front end, no biggie. Installed new seal, then the driveline, filled up the transfer case and called it good. I cleaned up the previuosly leaked fluid from the underbody. Now there is fresh fluid there so I am sure it is still leaking. The sliding yoke did not feel like it had any abrasions where it rides on the seal ?? My t case says its a model 242 but the dude at the parts house said the one I need was for a 241?? I measured them with a caliper and it seemed to be the one. Why is it still leaking ??:banghead:

had similar problem in the ranger. turned out the brass bushing in the output housing was scored and worn. even had to get a new yoke.

My driveshaft likes to grab the rubber part of the seal and shear it from the metal part. I am on the 3rd one now in 100k, all of them sheared. This time I completely packed the rubber part with grease, so far its holding up good.

My driveshaft likes to grab the rubber part of the seal and shear it from the metal part. I am on the 3rd one now in 100k, all of them sheared. This time I completely packed the rubber part with grease, so far its holding up good.

I always lubed mine before I put them in. Takes time to get the oil back there some times

Pretty normal, I have yet to see one that was totally dry. As posted the bushing could be loose. my 02 I bought at 18 k and currently at 118 k has always had a drip of oil hanging odd it but it has never left a puddle. I think I replaced the seal once but it didn't cure the hanging drip. Nothing to worry about until it leaves puddles.