• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Airdog whining under high fuel demand

I recently had problems with my airdog turning off on me. I would un plug the relay and plug it back in and it would work fine for a little and then turn off again. I changed the fuel filter tonight after more miles than I'm willing to admit and its feeling a lot more responsive. Now the thing that's weird though is when I get around 7 lbs of boost it sounds like the airdog is spoiling along with my turn. I'm guessing it's because it's under higher fuel demand than when at idle. It's an Airdog 2 4G 165GPH. I put a WIX 33627 filter on it. It's been fairly quiet until now. Anyone have any ideas as to what it might be?

How old is it? I bought my AD 165 about 9 years ago. I could hear it run before start up but never afterwards. that pump failed about 4 years later but never heard any weird sounds. The replacement lasted about 4 years until it failed about a year ago. They replaced it with the 4G. I have to stick my head almost under the truck to hear this one. The pump should run constant no matter the demand from the engine. Though I suppose it could ramp up in RPM some with less resistance from engine demand. I cant mine run with the engine at idle much less hearing while winding up the engine. It could be sucking air into it and causing the sound you are hearing.

It's about 2 years old or so. It's been very quiet and I've been pretty have with it. I looked at all the fittings and double checked my filter was tight and the water separator closed so theres no way air fan be getting in it. It literally sounds like it spools. I'm gonna get on the horn with pure flow this week, but figured I might as well ask and pick some brains on here. 

• Staff

I had trouble with both my 2nd gens when I put new Raptor pumps on each truck. I couldn't get steady fuel pressures for anything until Mopar Man suggested I adjust the regulators up to around 30 then down to about 7 a few times. That solved my problem. Perhaps the regulator is oscillating or screaming somehow and you should try adjusting it up and down to see if any difference. I don't really know but I think there are similarities between AD and Raptor pumps.

I wonder if its cavitating starving for fuel from a tank screen clog or tank vent clogged? Did you install 1/2 inch draw straw and get those clog screens out of the tank?

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

@JAG1 brings up a valid on fuel starvation. They will make alot ifmsomething is blocking the flow. Did you install it? What type of fuel pickup did you use?

Mine had the Dodge aftermarket in tank pump. I had to remove that and modify the fuel basket with a kit from AD. I did not have to mess with the fuel screens he mentions as the the in tank pump basket did not have them like the OE basket.

My dodge didn't have the in tank pump so I just modified the basket with the parts that came with the airdog. I believe if I remember right the straw that comes with the airdog is 1/2 inch. I can't remember pulling and screens while I was in there though. 

• Staff

Sounds like you got it right then. That's cool. Make sure the regulator is in good shape. no broken spring and the vitron ball isn't been pushed into the end of the screen. Some guys have to bend the screen a little to stop that. Watch you fuel tank vent, by taking a run next time with the fuel cap loose.

Don't be running around without a fuel pressure gauge. You have to keep from starving the injection pump by always keeping the pressure above 14 or you'll be spending some bucks .

Edited by JAG1

41 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

Sounds like you got it right then. That's cool. Make sure the regulator is in good shape. no broken spring and the vitron ball isn't been pushed into the end of the screen. Some guys have to bend the screen a little to stop that. Watch you fuel tank vent, by taking a run next time with the fuel cap loose.

Don't be running around without a fuel pressure gauge. You have to keep from starving the injection pump by always keeping the pressure above 14 or you'll be spending some bucks .

Dont your Raptor pumps have an adjustable regulator on? I ask because the AD165 comes with an adjustable regulator at least mine did back then. Not sure whats inside them since I have had 0 issues with the regulator.

After a drive in to work today I noticed the whining wouldn't kick on until around 20 lbs, so maybe it is just some air trapped in there after the filter change. Other than that it's way quieter, almost a little too quiet. I'm looking to see if I did my warranty card when I got it just in case. I'm not noticing dead pedal or any fuel delivery issues, I just cant hear the damn thing.

• Like 1

• Staff
56 minutes ago, dripley said:

Dont your Raptor pumps have an adjustable regulator on? I ask because the AD165 comes with an adjustable regulator at least mine did back then. Not sure whats inside them since I have had 0 issues with the regulator.

The latest Raptors have a newer type of regulator with a long stem inside. I had trouble with wild fuel pressures on both new Raptor 150's until I adjusted up/ down several times. It was like the O rings where stuck in there until they got lubed with fuel.

13 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Dead pedal with P012x error code is APPS sensor. 

Wouldn't I get a CEL with that though? And it's not dead dead pedal I can just feel a lag when I floor it. No sputtering or anything at higher rpms though.

I got on the horn with airdog and it seems like they're gonna send a replacement motor anyways for my pump. I'll look for codes tomorrow. Only thing telling me the airdog is shot is very hard starts. Normally its 2 or 3 rotations and the other day its started getting up to like 69 or 420 rotations.